Gearing

I don’t think there is an issue with the Gilomen kit. Any of these cruiser kits that come with a meaningful drop in rpm are going to neuter performance. Gilomen, AA, etc are pretty up front about that. For me, going to the performance of my Ranger is a complete non-starter plus my Ranger (2021) was difficult to communicate in at high rpm on the road anyway. The noise has been a non issue for us on the trail, on the road it is. I am installing the Gilomen performance tune and performance clutch kit and we will run headsets on the road and be done with it. You can build it for speed or you can build it for comfort, you can’t have both. Everyone will just have to decide what their priorities are.
They could have insulated it from the factory. They could have did a better job on how quiet the engine and exhaust are. From what I have read, the new XP's that have this engine also are very loud.
Why couldn't you have speed and comfort? ever drive a Mustang, Camaro or Corvette?
Sure it's geared low because it' so heavy. Only way around that is to have a turbo engine that runs at lower rpm or a different transmission. There are lots of things that Polaris could have done but they didn't.

They could have insulated it from the factory. They could have did a better job on how quiet the engine and exhaust are. From what I have read, the new XP's that have this engine also are very loud.
Why couldn't you have speed and comfort? ever drive a Mustang, Camaro or Corvette?
Sure it's geared low because it' so heavy. Only way around that is to have a turbo engine that runs at lower rpm or a different transmission. There are lots of things that Polaris could have done but they didn't.
Could have done more but at what additional expense? I have said before that I wish it was quieter but have also made the decision that I’m not going to come on here and curse Polaris about it every time it comes up. I enjoy the things the machine does do well too much.

As the current owner of 68 Camaro and prior owner of several modern performance cars, yes to answer your question. My statement of speed vs comfort directly comes from my experience with the 68. I don’t have expectations that my XP5 should compare to a new $60-80k muscle car. If you do that’s fine we can just disagree and move on.

Could have done more but at what additional expense? I have said before that I wish it was quieter but have also made the decision that I’m not going to come on here and curse Polaris about it every time it comes up. I enjoy the things the machine does do well too much.

As the current owner of 68 Camaro and prior owner of several modern performance cars, yes to answer your question. My statement of speed vs comfort directly comes from my experience with the 68. I don’t have expectations that my XP5 should compare to a new $60-80k muscle car. If you do that’s fine we can just disagree and move on.
I have a '15 Ranger with full cab (power windows and heater). I had a 17 General with full cab and heater. Ranger cost 25k, General cost 30k. I expected my Xpedition to be better in all aspects than the two older machines. More power, smoother ride, etc. Both of the old machines are quieter and they had no mods done.
What I got was a machine that is way noisier than either of my other machines and this is after I have put $250 worth of sound deadening and heat insulation in it so far. Still got to insulate the roof, center console and add the clutch kit. . I also got an air conditioner that only half way performs in 100 degree heat.
I would have paid an extra $1000 or more for Polaris to have fixed it right in the first place. They are said to have spent 4-5 years working on the design??? and this is what we got? Ride in a Defender sometimes? 10x quieter than an Xpedition.

Sure there are things that I like about it. Has a smooth ride, and fit and finish are good. It also looks good. Hard to praise something when you are sweating and your ears are ringing though!

Lets not turn this discussion into a bash session...lets keep it informative and useful. I love my xp5 and i'm glad i traded the ranger for it, no regrets.
I wasn't knocking the gilloman option as i haven't tried there's, just thinking of the AA kit with the different helix might be a better option for belt grip and such.

I spoke with Bikeman performance and I believe I am going to pull the trigger on tuning, clutch and exhaust tomorrow. Might be a month before any of it gets installed. Told me it was like a tractor before but definitely isn’t after. I’ll report back after it gets put together.

Got my 32in tires installed no difference, installed Bikeman exhaust sounds good but not any louder at idle maybe a little louder at mid throttle. But definitely not any louder for the most part. My ECU is sent off to them and then I will update on clutching also.

Low is 35:1 like the Turbo R.

I installed the AA cruiser kit. Set it up for 32" tires which is two slugs (large magnets) and three small magnets in the other hole. RPM dropped about 700. Quietened it some but not enough. Didn't notice any power difference at low speeds, maybe a little slower getting up to 60. Next week I am going to take the three small magnets out and install the third slug. I would like rpm to drop another 500.

Is anyone running a Bikeman clutch kit? I have one, installed the exhaust I have gotten the ECU tuned now just waiting to install the clutch kit but I was wondering what others are running for weights and where?

Latest Discussions

Back