Setting preload

Fireguy81

Oct 17, 2023
Michigan
New xp 5 the preload on the shocks is 0 in the rear and .3 in the front. Has anybody done anything with this? This is according to the book for factory preload.

Seems quite a bit shorter than the 2 seat version.

Attachments

• IMG_7466.jpeg
    IMG_7466.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 54
We ran the preloads down about 2” on both mine and my brother’s to get it to the advertised ground clearance. The preload is just for ride height and doesn’t affect ride quality. It’s best to set it once you’re loaded up how you’ll normally ride.

There will also be some spring sag after several rides so you might want to re adjust after that.

We ran the preloads down about 2” on both mine and my brother’s to get it to the advertised ground clearance. The preload is just for ride height and doesn’t affect ride quality. It’s best to set it once you’re loaded up how you’ll normally ride.

There will also be some spring sag after several rides so you might want to re adjust after that.
preload will affect ride quality if you get the shocks out of their range (where the internal bypass stops working). see the shock therapy video and start at about the 6:00 mark. Not sure what the range is

preload will affect ride quality if you get the shocks out of their range (where the internal bypass stops working). see the shock therapy video and start at about the 6:00 mark. Not sure what the range is

That’s definitely worth noting but that would also be setting the preload beyond the advertised ground clearance. Every new Xpedition that I’ve seen has come from the factory riding 1.5”-2” low.
Things like Super ATVs “lift kit”, which is just a coil spring spacer, could push the shocks beyond their intended travel range.

That’s definitely worth noting but that would also be setting the preload beyond the advertised ground clearance. Every new Xpedition that I’ve seen has come from the factory riding 1.5”-2” low.
Things like Super ATVs “lift kit”, which is just a coil spring spacer, could push the shocks beyond their intended travel range.
What are you measuring ground clearance off of? The skid plate?

Checked mine today. With 32" tires I am 13" in the rear so counting for the taller tires about 2" low. I am going to throw the 35's off of my Turbo R after Thanksgiving (Pro Armor Crawlers that actually measure about 33.75") and see if they rub. If they don't I will leave them on it and adjust preload accordingly. If not I will adjust it for the 32's. I saw no reason to do it twice as it's a PIA

Have messed with this a bit too although didn’t run them out as far as it sounds like you did. Felt like the springs sagged a bit after break in and shocks started to get out of their range. Will do a ST spring kit when they come out.

Did you get a lot of positive camber from your adjustments? My rear has more positive camber than I would like at stock setting. Assume it is for load purposes but I don’t like it.

Thanks. Every Xpedition I have saw the an arms are basically horizontal. If you have adjusted yours, are they now at an angle?
Prior to adjusting the inner part was slightly canted up from the frame out. Now they’re basically level.

Have messed with this a bit too although didn’t run them out as far as it sounds like you did. Felt like the springs sagged a bit after break in and shocks started to get out of their range. Will do a ST spring kit when they come out.

Did you get a lot of positive camber from your adjustments? My rear has more positive camber than I would like at stock setting. Assume it is for load purposes but I don’t like it.
There’s no visible difference on camber that I can see. I also want to do a re-spring sometime soon.

Latest Discussions

Back