Oil filter

Jeffs

Aug 9, 2024
Highland,Il
Any clues on getting the oil filter off?
Have the rear skid plate off and the wrench. It’s supper tight and can’t seem to get enough torque on it without wrench slipping. This is the first oil change on my machine.

If it gets down to it, I use a pair of Channel Locks. It’ll crinkle the filter in but should do the job.

Just remember, when you put the new filter on, lube the gasket and then hand snug! Don’t use the filter wrench to install or you’ll be back to the same problem next service.

Also, I tuck a piece of rag under the oil filter to catch any oil that drips out when removing the old filter. Otherwise it’ll run down the side of the motor and leave you wondering if you have a leak or if it’s residue from the service.

Have had a General and a Ranger before and never had this much of a problem. Yes I always lube the new one and hand tight only. Thanks

I swear, some filters act like someone put them on with an impact gun 😂
And I’ve known people who’ve installed them with a filter wrench so just putting that out there 😊

I had the same issue. It was very tight and difficult to get at. Mine is the adv and I was able to take off from the top access hole. I have a previous post on here about the wrenches I found to make the job easier. Just did my second oil change and was lot easier than the first time

Back