Xpedition too LOUD!

Horselady53

Mar 8, 2024
Blue Ridge, GA
We didn't try an expedition, except in the parking lot, before we purchased it. We got it home, all excited and took it up the mountain. It was very comfortable with the great heat & air & stereo but the engine noise was overwhelming. My husband is dang near deaf already from guns and this will finish him off. I called Polaris and told them they should have re-engineered it before they released it on the market. They did send the clutch kit and had our local dealer put it on for us. We plan on taking it out tomorrow. Husband has put sound deadening insulation all inside and it has helped tremendously. We asked about a muffler but they do not have one yet.
This machine is awesome. Very comfortable and will climb a tree, if the noise could be reduced, it would be perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_145538347.jpg
    IMG_20240225_145538347.jpg
    858 KB · Views: 63
We didn't try an expedition, except in the parking lot, before we purchased it. We got it home, all excited and took it up the mountain. It was very comfortable with the great heat & air & stereo but the engine noise was overwhelming. My husband is dang near deaf already from guns and this will finish him off. I called Polaris and told them they should have re-engineered it before they released it on the market. They did send the clutch kit and had our local dealer put it on for us. We plan on taking it out tomorrow. Husband has put sound deadening insulation all inside and it has helped tremendously. We asked about a muffler but they do not have one yet.
This machine is awesome. Very comfortable and will climb a tree, if the noise could be reduced, it would be perfect.
Clutch kit and insulation is about as good as its gonna get unless you regear it. The noise on the Xpedition motor is coming from the drive train not the exhaust. I compared the noise at the exhaust tip and drive train between my Ranger and Xpedition. They are about the same at the exhaust but at the valve cover the Xpedition is way louder. For whatever reason when Polaris redesigned the engine it got louder.

Clutch kit and insulation is about as good as its gonna get unless you regear it. The noise on the Xpedition motor is coming from the drive train not the exhaust. I compared the noise at the exhaust tip and drive train between my Ranger and Xpedition. They are about the same at the exhaust but at the valve cover the Xpedition is way louder. For whatever reason when Polaris redesigned the engine it got louder.
Is there anything you can do at the valve cover to insulate the noise without causing damage from excessive heat?

I'm new to this forum and appreciate all the input from everyone.

I recently acquired a new XP5 Northstar and found out almost immediately that the noise was unbearable. Today I ordered the Resonix Sound Solutions product.

Nick was very helpful and has graciously agreed to put together a complete kit for the XP5's with a discount if you let him know that you saw it on this forum.

lol he said I was the 3rd person to call today about the same machine. Ordered the 3 different products and he sent me a refund right away for the kit he was putting together

I also ordered the ResoNix Kit, which consisted of the CLD Squares, Fiber Mat 25, and the Barrier with the thin foam. It's not a magic wand that magically makes it silent, but there is definitely a worthwhile improvement.

I also ordered the ResoNix Kit, which consisted of the CLD Squares, Fiber Mat 25, and the Barrier with the thin foam. It's not a magic wand that magically makes it silent, but there is definitely a worthwhile improvement.
Yea that nick said them exact words. I cant just stand to sit and do nothing. Figured I'd try this

Lol, same thing he told me to expect, and that's exactly what I experienced.
If anybody has pictures of the process could you pleasse post them as that would be very helpful. I agree something has to be done to cut down the noise. I am a bit shocked that Polaris has not come out with the kit an owner can buy to do this. Thanks

It would be extremely helpful if anyone who installed the Resonix Kit could add some advice as to where you put all the sound reducing parts, i.e. behind the back seat, floor and even the doors. Thanks a done

Well then I guess I will wait to see what Polaris is doing to address this. Right now I ride with my Cardo headsets which does the job, but on short trips around town (live in AZ) I would like to ride without them on. Thanks for the heads up.

Polaris has their basic solution which is just different clutch weights that lower the cruising rpm. You should be able to ask your dealer for it if that’s what you’re looking for.
I doubt they’ll be doing anything more than that.

I just ordered some sound deadening squares as well, also some floor mats that should help too.
I did the clutch kit it did help some. I’ve also complained to Polaris hope they can come up with something, So we don’t have to keep spending money on these to make them right.

Back