New Owner 2024 Xpedition ADV NorthStar

cpierce212

Apr 14, 2024
samsung212
We traded in our Ranger Northstar for the Xpedition ADV North star a few days ago. Everything is great! except for the noise level. Can't have it all I guess. Any Advice on where to mounting a license plate without a rear bumper?

CP

Welcome Cpierce ... I'm looking for the picture now, but I was on a road trip a couple of months ago and I pulled into an Interstate gas station and there it was a very dirty ADV5 in orange with a dang license plate duct taped to the rear window. I was thinking $40k + dollars and you duct tape it to the rear glass. But he was legal!!! Anyway just wanted to share that since you are the first to ask about a license plate. Welcome!

The WD holder with light on tailgate

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    832.4 KB · Views: 75
Nice that you can license it! In Michigan I’d have to add side mirrors (have them, much needed), turn signals, DOT tires, and a parking brake… why, I don’t know.🤬

We traded in our Ranger Northstar for the Xpedition ADV North star a few days ago. Everything is great! except for the noise level. Can't have it all I guess. Any Advice on where to mounting a license plate without a rear bumper?

CP
My mount is rear left just under the box but it may have been added as a street legal requirement I had the dealer install.

Nice that you can license it! In Michigan I’d have to add side mirrors (have them, much needed), turn signals, DOT tires, and a parking brake… why, I don’t know.🤬
This is what we got for a parking brake.

It’s not required for street legal in Utah but it comes in handy quite often.

CP
Would you buy again with the noise problems? I love them but I am waiting for a Camo color

I would buy again. The comfort and performance makes it worth it coming from a Ranger. A few hours trail riding and the noise isn't bad at lower RPM. If you are driving at road speeds, 50-60MPH, it really is difficult to talk to a passenger and the radio might aswell not be in there. I have hearing loss from factory work years ago and the Xpedition leaves my ear ringing if we have been driving on the back roads. I just stay in the 30-40 MPH range to keep the noise down most of the time.

I was able to reduce the noise level to a "livable level" by insulating all areas in rear with car sound proofing material bought on Amazon, less than $100. In fact, I put multiple layers on, and also put a 1/2" sound barrier on firewall. There are several posts on sound proofing on this forum if interested, but it is a DIY job and it did make it quite a better.

I would buy again. The comfort and performance makes it worth it coming from a Ranger. A few hours trail riding and the noise isn't bad at lower RPM. If you are driving at road speeds, 50-60MPH, it really is difficult to talk to a passenger and the radio might aswell not be in there. I have hearing loss from factory work years ago and the Xpedition leaves my ear ringing if we have been driving on the back roads. I just stay in the 30-40 MPH range to keep the noise down most of the time.
Thanks for your thoughts, we are usually riding 25 mph or less

Fairly new owner here also, got ours a few months ago and had out 3 times. Just got back from Bishop CA yesterday from a 5 day trip. This machine just proved itself again on a ride Saturday up the mountains. It was cloudy when we left our campsite to head for the trails, about an hour in it started to rain pretty good! But it wasn't even a concern in our Northstar! Windows up and windshield wiper on and we kept on trail riding enjoying the beautiful scenery! We found a good spot for lunch and relaxed a bit. I have a smaller 12volt cooler that I strap down in the rear of the ADV for our drinks and sandwiches that works great! We love our ADV!

Attachments

• IMG_6907.jpeg
    IMG_6907.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6910.jpeg
    IMG_6910.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 54
Back