My New Xpedition First Impressions, Not Good (But better now)

tdeperte

Jun 22, 2023
Arizona
Got my Xpedition home from the dealer Friday. Went to unload it off the trailer and found the rear view mirror lying next to the shifter. The glass portion separated from the backing. First ride yesterday I get a couple of miles out on relatively smooth terrain and I heard a clunking noise in the front. Get out and find the drivers side front axle popped out from the front differential. I also discover that this units interior noise is ridiculously loud. The engine is mostly running 4-6000 rpm and that is driving it easy at less than 25 mph. Nurse it back home. Called the dealer who was very sympathetic and apologizing even though it's not their fault. Because of the holiday they can't get me in until Weds morning. So my new nearly 50k machine sits for now.

More Impressions. The stereo is awesome although you have to really turn it up to conquer the engine noise. The suspension is very smooth. The Ride Command is very nice. The rear window on the enclosed ADV model has no outside handle. You turn the two levers in each corner and then have to pull it open. Why no handle??? The seating is comfortable although I only spent a hour and a half in it. The outside door locks feel like you are going to break or bend your key to lock them. There is no inside lock mechanism. The air conditioning is not as effective as my Ranger Northstar. That may be due to the larger interior space to cool. On my Ranger I used to turn the nob off of maximum cooling after a few miles. Not on this new unit. I plan to get the windows tinted and that should help.

Post up some pics of the engine access panel? Please. Wonder if you could install a sound deadening material in the rear to help with noise?

The top panel shown here is already insulated from the factory. Below this panel is a hatch to access the top of the motor.
16883101413096626618728397276265.jpg
16883099786716700867502990646201.jpg

More Impressions. The stereo is awesome although you have to really turn it up to conquer the engine noise. The suspension is very smooth. The Ride Command is very nice. The rear window on the enclosed ADV model has no outside handle. You turn the two levers in each corner and then have to pull it open. Why no handle??? The seating is comfortable although I only spent a hour and a half in it. The outside door locks feel like you are going to break or bend your key to lock them. There is no inside lock mechanism. The air conditioning is not as effective as my Ranger Northstar. That may be due to the larger interior space to cool. On my Ranger I used to turn the nob off of maximum cooling after a few miles. Not on this new unit. I plan to get the windows tinted and that should help.
Tony,
Thanks for the report. Hopefully the issues with your mirror and axle aren't an indicator of poor quality control or inexperience at the Laredo facility.

Good catch on the lack of interior door locks. Yes, it should have them, especially for the price we pay. The rear window lacking a handle didn't really bother me. I figured that's just one less thing to vibrate loose.
I really couldn't tell that much about my A/C, as we were only in it about 30 minutes. I checked the different outlets for output, but that's about it.

I wonder if your location in AZ is part of the reason you noticed a difference more than I did. It was 88 degrees when we were in the buggy for first impressions. I imagine your temp was a lot warmer. Still, based on your observation, I'll have our windows tinted as well. Thanks.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers hoping I don't have QC issues showing up the first time we're out on the trails. Rather than taking off for WV right away, we'll plan to go somewhere here in IN the first time or two out.

Scott

Last edited:
Tony,
Thanks for the report. Hopefully the issues with your mirror and axle aren't an indicator of poor quality control or inexperience at the Laredo facility.

Good catch on the lack of interior door locks. Yes, it should have them, especially for the price we pay. The rear window lacking a handle didn't really bother me. I figured that's just one less thing to vibrate loose.
I really couldn't tell that much about my A/C, as we were only in it about 30 minutes. I checked the different outlets for output, but that's about it.

I wonder if your location in AZ is part of the reason you noticed a difference more than I did. It was 88 degrees when we were in the buggy for first impressions. I imagine your temp was a lot warmer. Still, based on your observation, I'll have our windows tinted as well. Thanks.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers hoping I don't have QC issues showing up the first time we're out on the trails. Rather than taking off for WV right away, we'll plan to go somewhere here in IN the first time or two out.
With the ac I am comparing the two Northstars in the same location. I am at 6500 feet and the sun is intense. Yesterday it was 91 degrees and the Ranger cab definitely got cooler although it is half the size of the new ADV.

I'm hoping mine was a one off and you don't have any issues. I don't have very good luck with new ATV's😁. Got my new Ranger home in 2019 and it wouldn't start! It was a bad brake pressure switch.

Hows the dust intrusion compared to the Ranger?
Have you ridden in a general, how does noise compare to that?

The top panel shown here is already insulated from the factory. Below this panel is a hatch to access the top of the motor.
View attachment 40View attachment 39
This must be a new mod that they did before shipping. The original one in the Polaris video's didn't have this added piece because I could see the access panel in the videos. I guess after the first social influencer video's came out they tried to make it quieter.

Hard to believe, especially at that price point. Hope they get it straightened out for you. You're a better man than me cause I'd be knocking down doors!
I've calmed down in my golden years. Things happen yet they always seem to happen to me. Whether it's a new ATV, boat, car, truck or whatever, my luck is not good! I could write a book.

This must be a new mod that they did before shipping. The original one in the Polaris video's didn't have this added piece because I could see the access panel in the videos. I guess after the first social influencer video's came out they tried to make it quieter.
They had the mat from day 1 in the ADV. The builder on there website always showed it in the 3d model.

OP here. Got my new Xpedition to the dealer at 8am today for the axle issue. They got me in first as promised. An hour and a half later I was on my way with a new axle installed. Kudos to my dealer, Epic Motorsports in Show Low, AZ for the outstanding way this issue was handled. Put 50 miles on today and all is well. She's a thirsty one for sure, down to a bit above half a tank with 69 miles. Now that I have some time with the unit I will say I am impressed. The suspension is so smooth. The stereo is amazing, especially the auto volume control. It's needed with all the engine noise. I did put a rubber horse stall mat from Tractor Supply over the floor panel above the engine. It seemed to help with noise some. The trails here are like powder due to a lack of rain, which means tons of dust. However, I couldn't see much cab penetration at all. Very happy overall, just wish it wasn't so loud.

OP here. Got my new Xpedition to the dealer at 8am today for the axle issue. They got me in first as promised. An hour and a half later I was on my way with a new axle installed. Kudos to my dealer, Epic Motorsports in Show Low, AZ for the outstanding way this issue was handled. Put 50 miles on today and all is well. She's a thirsty one for sure, down to a bit above half a tank with 69 miles. Now that I have some time with the unit I will say I am impressed. The suspension is so smooth. The stereo is amazing, especially the auto volume control. It's needed with all the engine noise. I did put a rubber horse stall mat from Tractor Supply over the floor panel above the engine. It seemed to help with noise some. The trails here are like powder due to a lack of rain, which means tons of dust. However, I couldn't see much cab penetration at all. Very happy overall, just wish it wasn't so loud.
I'm glad to hear they were able to swap out the axle so quickly! The Xpedition axle must cross-reference with the Ranger or General axles. I'm surprised to hear that it seemed to suck down the fuel because Polaris was touting a 200-mile range in the launch videos. Hopefully, it will break in a bit and be better on fuel as you get some miles on it.

I'm picking up the stall mat today at TSC. Great idea; thanks! I also just ordered some 394 mil sound and heat shield from Amazon. It is KOIKEY and 16.3 SQ ft. Was only about $30+. I'd think that will surely quiet and cool the cab... At least to some degree.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back