Knocking in the front end.

johndeerefarmer

Jun 16, 2023
Texas
Finally got my Xpedition back. It's been at the dealer since January 3rd for a knocking sound in the front end when going over rocks and through ditches. They first diagnosed it as the tie rods. Replaced those and still knocking. Then they said it was the steering rack/EPS. Replaced that and still knocking. They then called and said it was fixed. Went to pick it up and test drove it. I didn't hear any noise. The lead tech said he thinks the steering rack/eps actually fixed it but when the tech reinstalled the sway bar (after removing it to replace the rack) he didn't re- install it correctly so it was making noise. I am not sure exactly what fixed it but after 2 months I am glad that my machine is back. We will take it back to Colorado in April and test it out.

Finally got my Xpedition back. It's been at the dealer since January 3rd for a knocking sound in the front end when going over rocks and through ditches. They first diagnosed it as the tie rods. Replaced those and still knocking. Then they said it was the steering rack/EPS. Replaced that and still knocking. They then called and said it was fixed. Went to pick it up and test drove it. I didn't hear any noise. The lead tech said he thinks the steering rack/eps actually fixed it but when the tech reinstalled the sway bar (after removing it to replace the rack) he didn't re- install it correctly so it was making noise. I am not sure exactly what fixed it but after 2 months I am glad that my machine is back. We will take it back to Colorado in April and test it out.
Good for you- I hope that fixed it. I disconnected my sway bar and still have it. I think mine is wheel bearing but won’t have time to tear into for awhile.

fyi, Dealer replaced the steering rack under 3 day left on warranty (expensive item). Said tie rods were good. I took it in originally because I thought it was wheel bearings ... significant movement in front hub ... dealer said bearings OK. Polaris said they had never seen a front steering rack wallowed out like that given the pictures the Dealer sent them. Polaris asked dealer to send the defective/worn rack back to them rather than throw away so they could examine it first hand. I never noticed a weird sound in front end like others experienced in rutted / boulders / ditches etc. operation. Also, had a leaking left front shock replaced at same time. I've put about 600 miles on the new replacement parts. Still no negative front end noise. Again, not clear to anyone including Polaris why the steering rack wore that way. No mention of sway bar concerns from dealer. I'm not overly mechanically inclined. However, it's time for a re-inspection of front end to evaluate if all the components (steering rack, shocks, a arm, tie rods, sway bar, bearings, etc. have a design flaw when interacting with each other during normal operation. Will keep everyone updated on findings.

Last edited:
fyi, Dealer replaced the steering rack under 3 day left on warranty (expensive item). Said tie rods were good. I took it in originally because I thought it was wheel bearings ... significant movement in front hub ... dealer said bearings OK. Polaris said they had never seen a front steering rack wallowed out like that given the pictures the Dealer sent them. Polaris asked dealer to send the defective/worn rack back to them rather than throw away so they could examine it first hand. I never noticed a weird sound in front end like others experienced in rutted / boulders / ditches etc. operation. Also, had a leaking left front shock replaced at same time. I've put about 600 miles on the new replacement parts. Still no negative front end noise. Again, not clear to anyone including Polaris why the steering rack wore that way. No mention of sway bar concerns from dealer. I'm not overly mechanically inclined. However, it's time for a re-inspection of front end to evaluate if all the components (steering rack, shocks, a arm, tie rods, sway bar, bearings, etc. have a design flaw when interacting with each other during normal operation. Will keep everyone updated on findings.
They must have had a bad run of steering racks. Mine started making the noise after about 50 miles. I know of three that have been replaced and many others with the knocking issue

I'm confused 😵‍💫
So now there's the possibility of multiple issues causing the ghost CLUNK? Mine is still at the dealership and I must say, I'm getting a little pissed. Not at the dealership, but Polaris. All them high paid "smart" people and they can't get it under control? Has anyone heard of 25's having the same issue?

I'm confused 😵‍💫
So now there's the possibility of multiple issues causing the ghost CLUNK? Mine is still at the dealership and I must say, I'm getting a little pissed. Not at the dealership, but Polaris. All them high paid "smart" people and they can't get it under control? Has anyone heard of 25's having the same issue?
No word on when the 2025 will be released so who knows what issues it will have. So far I have saw posts saying that the front end clunk has been caused by steering rack/EPS, ball joint, or sway bar bushing. Polaris used a steering rack/EPS combo in the Turbo R and I haven't saw anybody having issues with theirs. They must have gotten a bad batch. Mine did it from day one but got worse really quick

Once the source of the problem (defective steering rack or ?) is clarified by Polaris we need to keep the pressure on Polaris to replace the defective component(s) at their expense whether the rig is still under factory warranty or no.

Once the source of the problem (defective steering rack or ?) is clarified by Polaris we need to keep the pressure on Polaris to replace the defective component(s) at their expense whether the rig is still under factory warranty or no.
Agree. My son’s RZR200 just had a several month stop ride notice for steering rack replacement. In that situation it seemed like the only thing that prompted total recall was that there were some wrecks. I get that there are going to be some issues with these machines but starting to feel like one thing after another. Definitely tired of chasing all these rattles pops and clunks.

Agree. My son’s RZR200 just had a several month stop ride notice for steering rack replacement. In that situation it seemed like the only thing that prompted total recall was that there were some wrecks. I get that there are going to be some issues with these machines but starting to feel like one thing after another. Definitely tired of chasing all these rattles pops and clunks.
RZR 200 doesn't have power steering I don't think so it's got a separate steering rack- not the EPS unit with steering rack combo..

RZR 200 doesn't have power steering I don't think so it's got a separate steering rack- not the EPS unit with steering rack combo..
I am well aware the 200 doesn’t have power steering. The point of my comment was my growing frustration with things not working right or being broke.

I am well aware the 200 doesn’t have power steering. The point of my comment was my growing frustration with things not working right or being broke.
I've been using Polaris products for 14 years. They've always had issues. Every machine I've had has had at least one recall on it.

I've been using Polaris products for 14 years. They've always had issues. Every machine I've had has had at least one recall on it.
Haven't bought one since my 2004 Sportsman. Treated her like a red headed step child and never had a single issue. She's currenlty in the garage in million pieces getting a well deserved overhaul. It all started with replacing rear bushings then it snowballed. The worst part is waiting for parts. The good old days of running to the local dealership, or even auto stores, and leaving with what ya need are long gone. By the time I'm done I'll have a new machine, but for now I'm high and dry with no toys to ride. Let's go Polaris we're missing out on our spring riding and turkey season is coming!

I took mine out this weekend after removing sway bar bolts and zip tieing sway bar up to eliminate that possibility. Clunk is still in mine as well, I don’t get any other feedback anywhere. Almost sounds like shocks chattering or something along that line. I’m not sure if Polaris will warranty mine since it already has the HCR long travel under it.

I took mine out this weekend after removing sway bar bolts and zip tieing sway bar up to eliminate that possibility. Clunk is still in mine as well, I don’t get any other feedback anywhere. Almost sounds like shocks chattering or something along that line. I’m not sure if Polaris will warranty mine since it already has the HCR long travel under it.
I thought mine was the shocks needing nitrogen because it clunked on both sides. I was surprised that it was the steering rack.
Ask your dealer how they feel about mods. Some don't care some do. Did you buy an extended warranty or are you still under the Polaris 6 month warranty? From my experience Polaris denies whatever they can. I buy the Riders Advantage warranty and have had good luck so far with them

I thought mine was the shocks needing nitrogen because it clunked on both sides. I was surprised that it was the steering rack.
Ask your dealer how they feel about mods. Some don't care some do. Did you buy an extended warranty or are you still under the Polaris 6 month warranty? From my experience Polaris denies whatever they can. I buy the Riders Advantage warranty and have had good luck so far with them
I’ll be honest the dealer I bought it from got it from another dealer. I would almost bet no warranty but it might be possible. Would be nice for them to at least check so I would know if it is rack. You’re almost dead on description. Like shocks don’t have enough in them.

I’ll be honest the dealer I bought it from got it from another dealer. I would almost bet no warranty but it might be possible. Would be nice for them to at least check so I would know if it is rack. You’re almost dead on description. Like shocks don’t have enough in them.
Rack and EPS are on unit now so probably over $2000

I have had mine to two different Polaris dealers. I bought it from the first dealer with a Moorhead long travel kit. I had it out twice and then started getting the clunk. I spent 3 days on my back in a gravel parking lot checking everything over, as it was a 9 hour round trip to go back to the dealer. Finally brought it back to them. They replaced the steering rack. Went to pick it up and it was still making the noise, however it was better. It still had a binding noise in the steering when turning the wheel to the left. Got back home and took it to a local dealer. It is in right now for wheel bearings. That is what they have determined is the problem. I really doubt that is what is causing it. It almost sounds to me like there is something broken in the frame. I can feel it in the floorboards when it makes the clunk. Will update when I get it back.

I have had mine to two different Polaris dealers. I bought it from the first dealer with a Moorhead long travel kit. I had it out twice and then started getting the clunk. I spent 3 days on my back in a gravel parking lot checking everything over, as it was a 9 hour round trip to go back to the dealer. Finally brought it back to them. They replaced the steering rack. Went to pick it up and it was still making the noise, however it was better. It still had a binding noise in the steering when turning the wheel to the left. Got back home and took it to a local dealer. It is in right now for wheel bearings. That is what they have determined is the problem. I really doubt that is what is causing it. It almost sounds to me like there is something broken in the frame. I can feel it in the floorboards when it makes the clunk. Will update when I get it back.
An update on yours?

Back