Would you buy it again?

Cards22

Oct 18, 2024
Kentucky
On the fence on choosing between a general or xpedition. I was hoping for a model change on the 2025 general but that didn't happen. I really like the xpedition but all the issues I see on here definitely have me concerned. So I'm stuck between a 6 year old design and a buggy new one.

Haven't had any issues other then the rpm vibration and definitely would buy again. Loving the comfort that the hvac gives while still being able to get away from others.

I would buy it again. There is no "Perfect" UTV out there. They all have their flaws or problems. When I was looking I narrowed it down to 3 UTV's. Took each one for a 15 minute drive, then went home and wrote down the good and bad for each. I ended up with the ADV 2 seat Northstar. Mainly because of the room in it for me (6' 5" 280 pds) and the room to keep everything inside and dry on our weekend trips up north. The A/C and stereo are also great.
I have done alot to quiet the interior noise to where it is acceptable for us. But if something happened to it, I would buy another one.

I would absolutely buy the Xpedition again! Having traded in a General on my Xpedition, I’d say it’s by far better all around. More seating, more bed space, more performance and considerably better ride. For every 1 person that complains about the noise etc. there’s 5+ that are perfectly fine with the Xpedition as it is. There could definitely be some improvements, but overall it’s a great machine.

I would absolutely buy the Xpedition again! Having traded in a General on my Xpedition, I’d say it’s by far better all around. More seating, more bed space, more performance and considerably better ride. For every 1 person that complains about the noise etc. there’s 5+ that are perfectly fine with the Xpedition as it is. There could definitely be some improvements, but overall it’s

Only thing my wife wants is a bed on whatever we get. Dunno why the only that will probably be hauling is a cooler 🤣. I do value comfort over speed so I'll probably go that route. XP5 non A/C is the the direction it looks like the choose

I would buy it again. There is no "Perfect" UTV out there. They all have their flaws or problems. When I was looking I narrowed it down to 3 UTV's. Took each one for a 15 minute drive, then went home and wrote down the good and bad for each. I ended up with the ADV 2 seat Northstar. Mainly because of the room in it for me (6' 5" 280 pds) and the room to keep everything inside and dry on our weekend trips up north. The A/C and stereo are also great.
I have done alot to quiet the interior noise to where it is acceptable for us. But if something happened to it, I would buy another one.
Why did you do for soundproofing?

Only thing my wife wants is a bed on whatever we get. Dunno why the only that will probably be hauling is a cooler 🤣. I do value comfort over speed so I'll probably go that route. XP5 non A/C is the the direction it looks like the choose
Cards22, if you can swing it, I would purchase the Northstar with the HVAC system. Just the fact of no dust in the cab when riding in all weather conditions is a game changer for me (and wife). I am very new to this machine. The rzr I had before the Northstar, the dust would swirl around the cab something horrible, even if I was in front of the pack. It's not going to matter if it is 40 degrees and windy, or 100 degrees, I can now control the temp in the cab. Now, the wife and I (and kids) enjoy going out in the desert.

Had a 2 seater General for 7 years. Had the full cab with heater and flip out front windshield. I hated the windows on the doors as they just flipped back- not full opening like my Ranger or Xpedition. Riding in Colorado it gets hot up at high altitude and got hot in the cab. Xpedition gives me the best of both worlds- power windows if we want or AC. Xpedition rides way better on rocks than the General and it had Shock Therapy springs and Fox RC2 shocks. I wish the Xpedition was quieter and had more power but pretty happy with it. I would never go back to a General

I wish I could justify the A/C even with the model year end clearance( which is close the 2025 general prices now) still can't do it. I do plan getting the add on windows and heater for winter. She would say get a jeep 😆

Few, if anybody, on this forum as far as I know, has had more issues with the Xpedition than me. I've had so many repairs done I'd really have to think long and hard to list them all. Some minor some major. That being said, as crazy as it sounds, I'd still get it again. My main gripe at this point is why they haven't addressed the known issues like the front driveshaft. On the flip side with newer models they have addressed or attempted to address the noise issue with the comfort kit and the oil pan seepage.

I would definitely recommend an extended warranty.

Why did you do for soundproofing?
Put sound/ heat insulation behind and under the seats, on the outside of the box sides, and around the door strikers. I also built a insulated deflector that I put in the right side of the engine compartment to deflect the heat that comes from the clutch housing vent blowing across the exhaust on the front of the engine. From the factory it blows right behind the passenger seat and comes up thru the inner fender area.

Like they’ve mentioned above, no matter what machine you go with, there’s issues. I’ve had my share with my rig. However, if I were in the market looking and knowing what I know now, there would be absolutely no other choice for me. Xpedition is truly a rig in its own class. Nothing comes close to it and I’d buy 2 before I even considered a jeep. There is not a jeep that can match the performance of these (my opinion).

On the fence on choosing between a general or xpedition. I was hoping for a model change on the 2025 general but that didn't happen. I really like the xpedition but all the issues I see on here definitely have me concerned. So I'm stuck between a 6 year old design and a buggy new one.
Still have my General. Haven’t driven it since I purchased the X. No issues what so ever. It’s like buying on Amazon. Look at the ratings and see 5 bad ones and you change your mind. Luck of the draw I guess. Also some people complain about everything or treat their stuff like shit.

My 2 cents, yes, without hesitation I would buy another Northsatr. Very happy with ours., it fills a specif need for us when we want to casually trail ride even in the heat here in Az (love the A/C).

However, I do not like how it preforms in soft sand, very heavy vehicle. That is why we also have a Can Am Turbo RR, so when we want to fly like a rocket, that is the rig we take.

Best of both worlds.

Curious...what did you do to quiet it down? I would like to do that to mine. It's very loud!

Curious...what did you do to quiet it down? I would like to do that to mine. It's very loud!
Here’s a couple pictures of what I did on our latest Xpedition build.
IMG_8535.jpegIMG_8536.jpegIMG_8537.jpegIMG_8538.jpeg
I also did the sound membrane on the back side of the panels but didn’t take pictures.
I also made a post a while back on insulating the underside.

Xpedition XP5 insulation job.

Latest Discussions

Back