Speed sensor fault

Jayberj

Aug 15, 2024
Arizona
Anybody else had a speed sensor fault? First I drove it for over a month. Last use was at about 7400 ft altitude. Fault occured at about 1300 ft. Maybe the issue? Has anybody ever had their unit re-jetted for altitude?

Anybody else had a speed sensor fault? First I drove it for over a month. Last use was at about 7400 ft altitude. Fault occured at about 1300 ft. Maybe the issue? Has anybody ever had their unit re-jetted for altitude?
The Prostar II engine in the Xpeditions is fuel injected, so nothing to Re-jet. As long as the O2 and TMAP sensors are functioning properly the ECM should adjust fueling for whatever altitude. I live at 1600 ft elevation but frequently ride from here into the mountains up to around 8000 ft and never had any issues.

As far as I know the Polaris ECM doesn’t hold historical data, so if the fault isn’t showing when you take it to a shop, the best they can do is replace the potentially faulty sensor and see if it happens again 🤷‍♂️
It’s the joy of computerized drivetrains. 99 times out of 100 there’s nothing mechanically wrong, just sensors fail from time to time.

Thanks for your input. I did notice that the throttle response was slower at altitude though. Do you experience the same?

Elevation will affect a lot of things on these machines. For instance, my Xpedition is clutched and tuned to run 8400-8600 rpm at the 1600 elevation where I live, but up above 6000-7000 elevation it runs around 8200 rpm.
Another thing with higher elevation is lower atmospheric pressure. Being naturally aspirated, there’s less oxygen, so the ECM will adjust the fuel rate accordingly. Combined, there’s definitely some loss of performance The higher the elevation, the more noticeable.

Elevation will affect a lot of things on these machines. For instance, my Xpedition is clutched and tuned to run 8400-8600 rpm at the 1600 elevation where I live, but up above 6000-7000 elevation it runs around 8200 rpm.
Another thing with higher elevation is lower atmospheric pressure. Being naturally aspirated, there’s less oxygen, so the ECM will adjust the fuel rate accordingly. Combined, there’s definitely some loss of performance The higher the elevation, the more noticeable.
Thanks! That makes sense.

Thanks! That makes sense.
I had a speed sensor code when I had mine stuck in the mud. That was at about 200' elevation. It's now at our CO place. House is 8500'. We have been up to 13k elevation so far. Any time we are above about 10k we get an O2 out of range message. Machine still runs fine though.

Latest Discussions

Back