RPMs

You seem very knowledgeable JT. I have a related question on the noise issue. I was planning to pull the rear seat and get those panels for the firewall and air intakes out. Then I planned to line the parts with automotive stick on sound deadening. Any input on this? Thanks again. Al
They have some foam inserts around the top of the intakes so there’s only a little more packing you can do up top.
The majority of areas that need help is the rear firewall and under the floor.

We use a 5mm layered sound deadening mat on the inside and a 9mm foil backed foam mat on the outside of the firewall, and then pack the area under the floor with polyfil. You have to be careful with the polyfil so that it can’t come loose and entangle with the driveshaft, but want to leave as little space around the shaft as possible. We also pack the area around the center console/shifter as it’s open straight down to the skidplate and allows heat and noise from the engine up through.

All of the Xpeditions I’ve done so far have been 5 seaters and there’s a lot to pack. I’m just starting a build on a 2 seat XP Northstar and it like I’ll have to change a little of how I pack it, but most should be the same.

They have some foam inserts around the top of the intakes so there’s only a little more packing you can do up top.
The majority of areas that need help is the rear firewall and under the floor.

We use a 5mm layered sound deadening mat on the inside and a 9mm foil backed foam mat on the outside of the firewall, and then pack the area under the floor with polyfil. You have to be careful with the polyfil so that it can’t come loose and entangle with the driveshaft, but want to leave as little space around the shaft as possible. We also pack the area around the center console/shifter as it’s open straight down to the skidplate and allows heat and noise from the engine up through.

All of the Xpeditions I’ve done so far have been 5 seaters and there’s a lot to pack. I’m just starting a build on a 2 seat XP Northstar and it like I’ll have to change a little of how I pack it, but most should be the same.
Awesome information. Can I private message you or call you somehow. I would like to get the 81g weights from you as well. Thanks, Al

You seem very knowledgeable JT. I have a related question on the noise issue. I was planning to pull the rear seat and get those panels for the firewall and air intakes out. Then I planned to line the parts with automotive stick on sound deadening. Any input on this? Thanks again. Al
If you have a 4 seater, make sure you check around the rear seatbelt buckles. A lot of the ear-piercing sound, dust, and mud come through that area. Mine had a 1/2"x2" opening by each buckle and I could clearly see the motor. I removed the buckle housing and sound proofed inside and out. I used the NVX stealth, very reasonably priced and one of the best performing. I then covered the NVX with sound skins 1/8 CCF to give everything a clean factory look inside. It came out looking really good.

Latest Discussions

Back