Release brake message

Lil’Mule

Aug 26, 2023
TN
I’m 100% not touching the brake pedal and I’m getting the flashing red warning light with a “Release Brake” message. All rotors are cold so it’s not actually applying the brakes. It puts me in limp mode. I’ve unhooked/reconnected the harness at the reservoir and still won’t go away. Any ideas other than taking into the shop? Thanks.

I’m 100% not touching the brake pedal and I’m getting the flashing red warning light with a “Release Brake” message. All rotors are cold so it’s not actually applying the brakes. It puts me in limp mode. I’ve unhooked/reconnected the harness at the reservoir and still won’t go away. Any ideas other than taking into the shop? Thanks.
Is it possible that it triggers off of the brake light switch behind the pedal? If your brake lights are triggering on without touching the pedal then adjusting that switch might take care of it.

Is it possible that it triggers off of the brake light switch behind the pedal? If your brake lights are triggering on without touching the pedal then adjusting that switch might take care of it.

Thanks for the suggestion. How do I adjust that switch? I will try it. My friend was behind me and said the brake lights came on as well. Hopefully that is it.

I just looked in the service manual - there is not an adjustable switch like I was thinking. However if you look at the bottom of your brake master cylinder you should see a wired switch that is on the rear banjo bolt connection. I would check and clean your electrical plug connection there and see if that helps. I doubt the switch is bad but it’s possible.

I just looked in the service manual - there is not an adjustable switch like I was thinking. However if you look at the bottom of your brake master cylinder you should see a wired switch that is on the rear banjo bolt connection. I would check and clean your electrical plug connection there and see if that helps. I doubt the switch is bad but it’s possible.
Thanks for checking. I’ll give it a try.

It could be possible it is a warning for a mechanical parking brake which we do not have in the US. In many generals a icon would light up (including mine) above the speedometer because the cluster is shared with the Generals in the UK they do have a factory turn signal and a parking brake.

Attachments

• hh.jpg
    hh.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 25
If your brakes lights are on without pressing the pedal, or the brake lights do not work at all. Replace the brake light switch, don't use a Polaris, use an aftermarket. Easy $15 fix.
Polaris has had troubles with these switches since 2014. That is the first part I replace before the 1st ride.
Search part # 4081117 on ebay, lots of choices.

Last edited:
If your brakes lights are on without pressing the pedal, or the brake lights do not work at all. Replace the brake light switch, don't use a Polaris, use an aftermarket. Easy $15 fix.
Polaris has had troubles with these switches since 2014. That is the first part I replace before the 1st ride.
Search part # 4081117 on ebay, lots of choices.
Thanks! My friend driving behind me stated the brakes lights were in fact flashing on and off. I'm certain the actual brakes were not being applied since the rotors were ice cold. To your point, if it's a bad sensor and turns the brake lights on, that should send the error code to the ride command because it assumed I'm actually applying the brakes. Great suggestion. I'll give this a shot.

Crank it up and then unplug brake switch. Drive it, it should be fine, except no brake lights. That will 100% diagnose brake switch.

I had the same issue on mine and took it to the dealer last weekend. They changed a "brake sensor" and that appears to have fixed it. It was very frustrating taking my unit out and not being able to get to 20mph (even with the seat belt plugged in).

Crank it up and then unplug brake switch. Drive it, it should be fine, except no brake lights. That will 100% diagnose brake switch.
Followed your advice and you are correct! Works just like you stated. New switch will be here Saturday. Thanks for the help!!

Back