Rattle noise

Horning3398

Jul 19, 2023
Missouri
I have a rattle noise around 5500 rpm. Goes away after 6000. Sounds like heat/exhaust shield. Can’t find anything loose. Any one else having issues. XP 2 seater. Thanks

I may have had the same problem. Sounds like metal spinning on metal or maybe a metal bowl full of marbles. Really hard to describe. Polaris told the dealer to remove the u-joint on the front of the prop shaft and grease it.. That helped quite a bit. ( Should have been taken care of prior to pickup) Polaris then had them drop the shaft and grease the splind ends and put it back together. Problem solved. I hope this isn't a regular maintenance issue.

Last edited:
For those hearing the rattle noise do you only hear it in sport mode? I don't do much speeding around cause my property is more suited to rock climbing, but today I opened her up a little and heard "the rattle" best described by Wayne Hardy (metal spinning on metal or metal bowl full of marbles).

maybe drive shaft need lubrication in the yoke? because they build these things so fast that things do get overlooked and forgotten.

For those hearing the rattle noise do you only hear it in sport mode? I don't do much speeding around cause my property is more suited to rock climbing, but today I opened her up a little and heard "the rattle" best described by Wayne Hardy (metal spinning on metal or metal bowl full of marbles).
I hear it any time I am running 3500rpm and above

I may have had the same problem. Sounds like metal spinning on metal or maybe a metal bowl full of marbles. Really hard to describe. Polaris told the dealer to grease the u-joint on the front of the driveshaft. That helped quite a bit. ( Should have been taken care of prior to pickup) Polaris then had them drop the shaft and grease the splind ends and put it back together. Problem solved. I hope this isn't a regular maintenance issue.
I looked it doesn’t appear that the u joints have a grease zerk, any body know if a way to get to the prop shaft carrier bearing to inspect that or grease it?

Any of the modes. I hear it from 5500 to 6200 rpm. Was riding with a guy that had a new General. Same noise

I looked it doesn’t appear that the u joints have a grease zerk, any body know if a way to get to the prop shaft carrier bearing to inspect that or grease it?
Sandcraft has u joints that are grease-able . Just verify dimensions. Note : jack up machine remove all wheels . Run in high 4 wheel drive . If you have a bad vibration remove drive shaft run again . If no vibration the drive shaft is not balanced. Have a drive shaft business balance shaft .

Latest Discussions

Back