out west riding?? kicked out of the northeast

If they question the missing off-road sticker, I will respond with “I paid almost $800 to register this fully street legal Dune Buggy and was told by MVD I didn’t need the Off-Road sticker.”
MVD titled mine as an ATV, and still charged me almost $800.
Basically what i tole the DGF officer who questioned the missing decal. I also showed him the printout of the DGF website wording!

I currently reside in the northeast. We have in my opinion "minimal riding" and many restrictions to follow regarding the xpedition. I recently was indefinitely kicked out of the state of Maine sxs registration because of the 2,000lb weight limit (so there goes that state) NH is following suit as well. Now I feel like I've spent 60k for nothing seeing I cannot ride my surrounding states.
Anyone on here lives out west? I have nothing holding me back where I am and I am huge into sxs's and have 3 more as well. What would you recommend for places where there are no restrictions like we have here now.
How about a Variance.
to get a variance on the overweight restriction for your Maine side-by-side (SxS) registration, you'll need to follow these steps, as Maine has specific laws for registering and operating all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), including side-by-sides, that exceed certain weight limits:

1. Review Weight Limits and Regulations

• Maine ATV laws have weight limits for off-road vehicles, typically around 2,000 pounds for ATVs and side-by-sides.
  • If your vehicle exceeds these limits (as many larger side-by-sides or utility terrain vehicles do), you may need a special variance to operate it legally on trails.

2. Contact Maine's Bureau of Parks and Lands (BPL)

• Reach out to the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry’s Bureau of Parks and Lands(which oversees ATV registrations and rules) to inquire about the variance process. You can contact them via phone, email, or visit their website.
    • Phone: (207) 287-3821

3. Apply for a Special Permit or Variance

• Ask if there is a specific application for an overweight variance.
  • Provide the necessary details about your side-by-side, including weight, make/model, and intended use (whether it's for trail riding or other purposes like farming).
  • Some areas or specific trails may allow for variances under certain conditions, such as environmental concerns or restricted trail maintenance.

4. Check Local ATV Clubs

• ATV clubs in Maine, such as the Maine ATV Association or local clubs near the trails you want to use, may also offer guidance. These clubs often work closely with state agencies and have experience navigating variances and exemptions.

5. Prepare Supporting Documentation

• You may need to provide documentation, such as the vehicle's weight, manufacturer information, and intended usage plans to support your request for a variance.
  • If your vehicle exceeds weight limits due to safety modifications or other necessary adjustments, it could be beneficial to highlight that in your application.
By following these steps and working closely with the appropriate agencies, you should be able to explore getting a variance for your side-by-side.

Latest Discussions

Back