Obnoxiously LOUD !!

I covered the outside of the rear firewall with Thermotec 13590. Covered the inner firewall behind the rear seat with Siless 4mm sound deadening foam. Made floor mats out of 1/2" exercise mats. Insulated between the roof and headliner with Siless as well. Insulated the top side of the coolant lines with Siless stuck to Thermotec. Going to pull the tunnel and insulate that in the next few days.
Skid plate is off right now. Haven't decided what I am going to do there yet.

I covered the outside of the rear firewall with Thermotec 13590. Covered the inner firewall behind the rear seat with Siless 4mm sound deadening foam. Made floor mats out of 1/2" exercise mats. Insulated between the roof and headliner with Siless as well. Insulated the top side of the coolant lines with Siless stuck to Thermotec. Going to pull the tunnel and insulate that in the next few days.
Skid plate is off right now. Haven't decided what I am going to do there yet.
I would be interested in seeing how you did your roof insulation. Have considered that as well but didn’t want to have to cut a bunch of individual pieces to fit in between all of the vertical plastic reinforcement channels. Hopefully my point makes sense and thanks for any feedback on what worked well.

Because of the roof design that you mentioned I stuck the Siless 4mm foam to the headliner. Some didn't stick well so I used some spray adhesive. Since the foam is laying on top of the headliner all it really has to do is stay in place until I got the headliner reinstalled.

Attachments

• IMG_20230926_133147178.jpg
    IMG_20230926_133147178.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20230926_135522581.jpg
    IMG_20230926_135522581.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 186
I drove mine for the first time.. a longer distance. I’m with you... my friend who runs the local shop said what do you expect with a second gen Polaris Motor it... I’m thinkn big block 60s mustang.

This morning a product manager called me to get my feedback on my Xpedittion XP5 NS. I told him I loved the machine...however the NOISE is ridiculous inside the cab. He mentioned they (Polaris) is working on new clutch kit to lower the RPM to quiet the machine down. I told him in the upcoming Model Years his team needs to quiet these dam things down and this clutch kit...if it works ought to be available for free to early adopters with noisy machines if they want to lower the RPM via the kit. So....Polaris knows they are too fucking loud too.

This morning a product manager called me to get my feedback on my Xpedittion XP5 NS. I told him I loved the machine...however the NOISE is ridiculous inside the cab. He mentioned they (Polaris) is working on new clutch kit to lower the RPM to quiet the machine down. I told him in the upcoming Model Years his team needs to quiet these dam things down and this clutch kit...if it works ought to be available for free to early adopters with noisy machines if they want to lower the RPM via the kit. So....Polaris knows they are too fucking loud too.
The problem with this is when they made a clutch to be quieter on the Generals, they did so by putting smaller, rubber backed buttons in the clutch. In doing so they decreased the life of the clutch and we’ve never successfully rebuilt a general clutch once the buttons wore out. It’d eat the new buttons in the first ride after the rebuild. (All genuine Polaris parts)

While rpm is a factor in the noise, the cabin area simply isn’t insulated at all. It’s extremely unlikely that Polaris will ever do anything about that, at least on current models.

Agreed. I told him my dealer had a Ranger Trail Boss new sitting and it had insulation in many places, like the backseat for instance. I also complained about the heat coming through the backseat is unbearable in t he summer. His NVH team has alot of work to do in MY25 & 26 because the operator experience relative to noise, heat, and dust entry fucking sucks for a $50K rig.

Agreed. I told him my dealer had a Ranger Trail Boss new sitting and it had insulation in many places, like the backseat for instance. I also complained about the heat coming through the backseat is unbearable in t he summer. His NVH team has alot of work to do in MY25 & 26 because the operator experience relative to noise, heat, and dust entry fucking sucks for a $50K rig.
I did a survey for Polaris. And they called me about 2 weeks ago and said the same thing. I seriously doubt their clutch kit is better than the aftermarket assassin cruiser kit that I have now but I will see in to it. The main thing I see is the engine is very noisy itself. Especially the valve train.

Right on, I submitted my survey last week with all kinds of complaints regarding noise / NVH and boom they called me a few days later. I gave them 12 minutes of my wrath. What they do with it who knows...?? Only time will tell.

Awesome machine...just really poor design/thought/testing in some key areas.

And FWIW - I told him all their marketing with Insta-Influencers posing as real users is bullshit and thanked him for calling a real user...AND GET IT FIXED!

Do you own one? Have you ran the shit out it? JBL sounds great at 15 mph or less when full bore. Otherwise can barely hear it.
No. I was “upgrading” from current Ranger.
Lastly, did not expect it to be the loudest Polaris on the market with a cab.

Not whining. It’s unacceptable NVH and obviously Polaris agrees that’s why they are doing damage control and already re-engineering. Calling customers direct…not a good start sign. You must have the quiet unit.

I have the XP5 Ultimate and the stereo will go more than loud enough to overcome both the noise of the machine running flat out at 8700 rpm and my com headphones at volume level 7-8.
Rangers always were quieter as they’re intended for farm and hunting work. The Xpeditions are a little more performance utility focused. They have to sacrifice some things for that performance. Granted, there are a few things they could have done in development to improve the noise, but I don’t think that was a priority when they were developing it. I think they were aiming more towards the performance side while giving it the utility capabilities.
Personally, if I’d been wanting quiet utility, I’d have gone for the Ranger they already had it with the Northstar and with a few suspension mods, I could’ve a better ride quality. Now with the Ranger XD1500 coming out, there’s likely very little if any that’ll need modification for a comfortable, quiet ride.
Overall, with a little work over what the factory did, I’m very satisfied with the Xpeditions, and everyone I’ve personally met that has one, there’s been no complaints. Even from asking them directly how they feel about the noise levels.

I have the XP5 Ultimate and the stereo will go more than loud enough to overcome both the noise of the machine running flat out at 8700 rpm and my com headphones at volume level 7-8.
Rangers always were quieter as they’re intended for farm and hunting work. The Xpeditions are a little more performance utility focused. They have to sacrifice some things for that performance. Granted, there are a few things they could have done in development to improve the noise, but I don’t think that was a priority when they were developing it. I think they were aiming more towards the performance side while giving it the utility capabilities.
Personally, if I’d been wanting quiet utility, I’d have gone for the Ranger they already had it with the Northstar and with a few suspension mods, I could’ve a better ride quality. Now with the Ranger XD1500 coming out, there’s likely very little if any that’ll need modification for a comfortable, quiet ride.
Overall, with a little work over what the factory did, I’m very satisfied with the Xpeditions, and everyone I’ve personally met that has one, there’s been no complaints. Even from asking them directly how they feel about the noise levels.
I couldn’t agree with you more. To get a Ranger close to this you would need a turbo and long travel at which point you would exceed the Xpedition cost and probably still fall short on performance in some areas.

I couldn’t agree with you more. To get a Ranger close to this you would need a turbo and long travel at which point you would exceed the Xpedition cost and probably still fall short on performance in some areas.
As it happens…
IMG_7151.jpeg
IMG_7152.jpeg

My brother has a 6 seat Ranger Northstar that is turboed and with long travel suspension 😂 (which is up for sale)

While those are a drastic improvement over the stock Ranger, there’s absolutely no comparison to the Xpedition for ride quality. Power wise, it might be a little more but we haven’t run them next to each other for a comparison. It is quieter than the Xpedition though. That and more hauling capacity is really all it has over the Xpedition.

After a few rides and some backseat passengers I feel a LOT of the cab noise is coming from the rear pillars that the duct for air intakes runs through. Anyone else notice this?

The problem with this is when they made a clutch to be quieter on the Generals, they did so by putting smaller, rubber backed buttons in the clutch. In doing so they decreased the life of the clutch and we’ve never successfully rebuilt a general clutch once the buttons wore out. It’d eat the new buttons in the first ride after the rebuild. (All genuine Polaris parts)

While rpm is a factor in the noise, the cabin area simply isn’t insulated at all. It’s extremely unlikely that Polaris will ever do anything about that, at least on current models.
I took out the square pucks on my General as soon as I got it and put in the round ones from Hunter Works. Still worked fine after 7 years when I traded it in

I installed the Gilomen quiet clutch kit and I am super happy now. It might be a tad slower at full throttle but at part throttle it gets up to speed easier without screaming the motor and therefore cruising around is night and day difference. I didn't buy this thing for drag racing. lol. That's not what it's made for.
If someone would come out with a turbo kit for this thing, then it would be best of both worlds.
They should have built it with the 1500 motor and designed it with more low end torque and that would also be perfect for what this machine is designed for.

Help,, I am going deaf. I recently purchased the Xpediton ADV Northstar and it is almost unbearably loud to the point that I would not recommend spending $50K on this machine. It helps when you load up the cooler and tool box in the back end but still crazy loud. I love everything else about this unit. It performs awesomely its just really, really, really loud.
The Speedworx clutch kit made a huge difference!

Latest Discussions

Back