New potential owner

Keyster

Jun 4, 2024
Southern IL/Rend Lake
Hello everyone. I'm switching from a General XP Trailhead to an XP5 Northstar VERY soon and am haggling with a dealer for one right now. I will be asking a few questions once I get my machine. I''ve owned a couple Generals, so this will take some getting used to.

Hello everyone. I'm switching from a General XP Trailhead to an XP5 Northstar VERY soon and am haggling with a dealer for one right now. I will be asking a few questions once I get my machine. I''ve owned a couple Generals, so this will take some getting used to.
I went from a 17 General 2 door with deluxe cab (folding side windows, flip up front window and heater). Now have a XP5 Northstar.
New machine had lots of issues at the start. Way too noisy in the cab. I added an Aftermarket Assassins cruiser clutch kit and 32" tires. Both made it quieter. Also added lots of insulation for both sound deadening and heat reduction. Here in Texas on 95-100 degrees the AC couldn't keep up.
Got about 600 miles on it now and really like it now just plan on doing lots of mods to it. My Xpedition with the stock shocks rides as good as my General did with Fox RC2's and Shock Therapy springs so the ride is good. Power windows are nice.
After you get yours search here and you will find lots of posts on what me and others have done to make ours better
Welcome to the forum!

I switched from a 2018 RZR and love the new platform (ADV5 Northstar). It developed a few problems from the first ride but it has warranty and will be going in this weekend for repairs. Get ready to spend $$ on accessories!

Yeah, thanks! Sound dampening is going to be the first thing I’m going to do. I used siless on my Trailhead General, and it helped a lot so will go that route again. Will also be looking for ways to prevent heat entry. Firewall in rear especially. Also have read about heat entry from around the steering shaft front firewall and the shifter.

Yeah, thanks! Sound dampening is going to be the first thing I’m going to do. I used siless on my Trailhead General, and it helped a lot so will go that route again. Will also be looking for ways to prevent heat entry. Firewall in rear especially. Also have read about heat entry from around the steering shaft front firewall and the shifter.
I have the ADV5 and I was worried about the noise. Personally, it really is not that bad for the short time you (I) are at that RPM/Speed range. If I had to drive it for hours at a time at full speed then yes I could see it being annoying. *Note... This being said, I put 32's on it for the trip. I had already pre-ordered everything from Terick Soultions as many mention but have not installed the kit yet. I will install my add-on's and upgrades when it gets back from the shop.

XP Northstar, so far front diff replaced, steering rack initially worked on now being replaced, windshield addressed twice for leaking, first and second heat shield paint peeled, door seal replaced, new clutch kit installed (noise didn't really bother me I'm deaf anyway). Somehow I haven't flipped my lid for the amount they cost. That being said it's a hell of a nice machine when all is working as it should. If I had to do it all over again I would've waited for the 25's to come out and see what they've done to address the new model issues.

Get the extended warranty!

If I were buying one I would search out a deal on a 2024. My guess is they will change very little if anything but that clutching. Right now I’m seeing Northstar marked down 2-3k off msrp in Wisconsin. The noise level does seem loud but it really doesn’t bother me, I’ve spend a lot of hours trying to address the sound and very minimal return on that.

Yeah, My General was loud, and pretty-much all SXS are loud, so I understand the game. Will wait until I get it (Thursday or Friday 13-14 June/24) this week to provide unbiased assessment between it and a Polaris General XP 2 seater. Thanks!

Back