New from Houston

Jetiemann

Jan 9, 2024
Texas
(Cliff notes: new here. Looking to get a new SXS. XPEDITION is definitely interesting to me, but dont have mountains or the Grand Canyon near me to explore.)

Whats up y’all? I’m in the market for a new rig. Currently own a XRT1550se. I know.. what the hell is that? It’s a pretty capable rig for what it is but it’s time to move on from the 23hp carbureted Kawi.

Unfortunately, I live near Houston Tx. Not as lucky as some of y’all from the mountain states. So this rig will mainly be to cruise the neighborhood and to local stores on nice days and the occasional trip to the deer lease or an off road park.

I’m not looking at the northstar as the weather doesn’t get cold enough to justify it and I still want the feel I’m in a UTV. Otherwise I would have just kept the Jeep I had I suppose.

I did some pricing and by the time I took a base Ranger or defender and did the basic upgrades (roof, winshield, sound, lift, wheels and tires) I’m up to $32k. Might as well get a Xpedition.

Only things I’m worried about initially when I’m reading up are the heat and noise issues in the cab, particularly the backseat. I’ve got four boys ages 10,9,2,2 so I don’t want them burning up back there.

Anyways. Sorry for being long winded. I’m appreciative of this forum already from the little I’ve read and I look forward to learning more.

Thanks for your help and hospitality.

-Jet

(Cliff notes: new here. Looking to get a new SXS. XPEDITION is definitely interesting to me, but dont have mountains or the Grand Canyon near me to explore.)

Whats up y’all? I’m in the market for a new rig. Currently own a XRT1550se. I know.. what the hell is that? It’s a pretty capable rig for what it is but it’s time to move on from the 23hp carbureted Kawi.

Unfortunately, I live near Houston Tx. Not as lucky as some of y’all from the mountain states. So this rig will mainly be to cruise the neighborhood and to local stores on nice days and the occasional trip to the deer lease or an off road park.

I’m not looking at the northstar as the weather doesn’t get cold enough to justify it and I still want the feel I’m in a UTV. Otherwise I would have just kept the Jeep I had I suppose.

I did some pricing and by the time I took a base Ranger or defender and did the basic upgrades (roof, winshield, sound, lift, wheels and tires) I’m up to $32k. Might as well get a Xpedition.

Only things I’m worried about initially when I’m reading up are the heat and noise issues in the cab, particularly the backseat. I’ve got four boys ages 10,9,2,2 so I don’t want them burning up back there.

Anyways. Sorry for being long winded. I’m appreciative of this forum already from the little I’ve read and I look forward to learning more.

Thanks for your help and hospitality.

-Jet
Welcome to the forum, Jet! I don't think interior sound is as much of an issue if you aren't going with a full cab. It's only exaggerated when you go with a full cab. You can easily insulate the firewall to help with some of the heat, but having air movement without the cab should also help with this. There are lots of knowledgeable members here who are happy to help and there are already some really good threads here covering sound deading and firewall insulation solutions.

Welcome to the forum, Jet! I don't think interior sound is as much of an issue if you aren't going with a full cab. It's only exaggerated when you go with a full cab. You can easily insulate the firewall to help with some of the heat, but having air movement without the cab should also help with this. There are lots of knowledgeable members here who are happy to help and there are already some really good threads here covering sound deading and firewall insulation solutions.
Thanks, Dragoon. How much is it costing on average to put sound deadening and heat shield material in these? Seems like a huge oversight by Polaris of something that should have been done from the factory.

At that or the cost of the new clutches people are adding to lower rpms I wonder if it’s enough for Polaris to do something about it on their 2025 models.

Thanks, Dragoon. How much is it costing on average to put sound deadening and heat shield material in these? Seems like a huge oversight by Polaris of something that should have been done from the factory.

At that or the cost of the new clutches people are adding to lower rpms I wonder if it’s enough for Polaris to do something about it on their 2025 models.
Here's a link to some sound-deadening that has some good information: Sound deadening project stage 2

Latest Discussions

Back