Montana Xpedition Adventures

Havic

Jul 28, 2024
Montana
Just some clips from last weekends trail ride.

IMG_20240817_145425_693.jpg

I need some forest to ride through like that. šŸ˜
I love my desert trails and all but a good change of scenery never hurts šŸ˜Š

Havic, I have to say that your video was exceptionally steady and maintained a level horizon, not bouncing around. What camera did you use?
I'm using a gopro hero 7, gropro hero 11 and a dji action cam 2. Will be adding the new hero 13 as soon as it shows up tomorrow.
The cameras work great for the trail footage but I lack in the editing as I have no idea what I'm doing

I use AVS4you video editor, it is user friendly, easy to cut and splice, learning curve is quick.

So I use GoPro on my Jeep, and I need a mount for my Northstar. What struck me about your video is the horizon was always level, and the hood of your Northsatr was rocking back and forth. I never got that on my jeep, the video followed the movement of the vehicle. (left/right up/down)

What kind of mounts are you using or recommend?

Another camera suggestion would be the Insta360 X4. The GoPros have excellent stabilization and horizon lock, but they only video where theyā€™re aimed.
The Insta360 X4 also has excellent stabilization and horizon lock, but also takes full 360 video. You donā€™t need to aim it in any particular direction, just hit record and then pick your shot later in editing.
The phone app is really easy to use and you donā€™t need to download the footage from the camera to edit it. They also have a desktop app if you need to do more serious editing.

They run pretty much the same prices as the GoPro too

I use AVS4you video editor, it is user friendly, easy to cut and splice, learning curve is quick.

So I use GoPro on my Jeep, and I need a mount for my Northstar. What struck me about your video is the horizon was always level, and the hood of your Northsatr was rocking back and forth. I never got that on my jeep, the video followed the movement of the vehicle. (left/right up/down)

What kind of mounts are you using or recommend?
I'm just using the flat mounts. Put a few in different locations to get different views as I ride but being new I just usually use the one. Lol
I love gopro as they are rugged and always seem to capture what I'm doing.

Another camera suggestion would be the Insta360 X4. The GoPros have excellent stabilization and horizon lock, but they only video where theyā€™re aimed.
The Insta360 X4 also has excellent stabilization and horizon lock, but also takes full 360 video. You donā€™t need to aim it in any particular direction, just hit record and then pick your shot later in editing.
The phone app is really easy to use and you donā€™t need to download the footage from the camera to edit it. They also have a desktop app if you need to do more serious editing.

They run pretty much the same prices as the GoPro too
I did look into it and will probably add it to my collection but I stuck with gopro as I've had good results with mine and sons. Few years back I got the dji action as people said good things but over time I'm starting to have issues so I'm nervous about trying new instead of the trusty gopro..

I did look into it and will probably add it to my collection but I stuck with gopro as I've had good results with mine and sons. Few years back I got the dji action as people said good things but over time I'm starting to have issues so I'm nervous about trying new instead of the trusty gopro..
Let me preface this by saying: Iā€™m not affiliated with Insta360 in any way. All experiences and opinions are my own.

We started out with the GoPro as well, and we still use the Hero 12 now and then. There was just a lot of times we missed something awesome because the camera wasnā€™t pointed that way.

I also tried the DJI Osmo pocket, thinking the built in gimbal would be neat. I used it twice then gave it to my little nephew. It just didnā€™t work out for what we needed. GoPro was way better.

Iā€™d seen few videos from 360 cameras and they looked pretty good, so I started researching all the available consumer grade 360 cameras. GoPro has one, but itā€™s several years old and lacks some of the newer camera features.
Insta360 pretty much came out on top for features, ease of use, resolution, and how intuitive the app for it is.

So, I bought the Insta360 X3 (the latest they had available at the time), watched a few tutorials, and started using it. The camera itself has a lot of features and settings, that Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not using, but for what I do use itā€™s incredibly simple. The part that really blew me away was the app! Reframing, cutting, trackingā€¦ itā€™s all incredibly easy and quick. And I donā€™t need to transfer the footage from the camera until itā€™s all edited.

We decided we need more of them and got the Insta360 X4. It has a bunch of upgrades over the X3 but the X3 still gets a lot of use.

This post, I left the camera up for a 45 minute Timelapse and it was literally 1 minute to edit.

And this one was a combination of a dash mount and a selfie stick, all edited on my phone.

The downsides are that they have 2 big fisheye lenses, so you canā€™t just set it down without a protective cover in place to prevent them getting damaged. They also have a lot more touch screen and lense area than the GoPro, so more potential damage area. They do offer lense and screen protectors though.
And in the app, their AI editing features tend towards selfies more than scenery so I pretty much manually edit everything.

Battery life seems to be roughly the same as the GoPro.
Water resistance is the same as well.
There are times where the GoPro depth of field is more useful, but for general purposes I definitely prefer the Insta360

Hope you find this information useful šŸ˜Š

Let me preface this by saying: Iā€™m not affiliated with Insta360 in any way. All experiences and opinions are my own.

We started out with the GoPro as well, and we still use the Hero 12 now and then. There was just a lot of times we missed something awesome because the camera wasnā€™t pointed that way.

I also tried the DJI Osmo pocket, thinking the built in gimbal would be neat. I used it twice then gave it to my little nephew. It just didnā€™t work out for what we needed. GoPro was way better.

Iā€™d seen few videos from 360 cameras and they looked pretty good, so I started researching all the available consumer grade 360 cameras. GoPro has one, but itā€™s several years old and lacks some of the newer camera features.
Insta360 pretty much came out on top for features, ease of use, resolution, and how intuitive the app for it is.

So, I bought the Insta360 X3 (the latest they had available at the time), watched a few tutorials, and started using it. The camera itself has a lot of features and settings, that Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not using, but for what I do use itā€™s incredibly simple. The part that really blew me away was the app! Reframing, cutting, trackingā€¦ itā€™s all incredibly easy and quick. And I donā€™t need to transfer the footage from the camera until itā€™s all edited.

We decided we need more of them and got the Insta360 X4. It has a bunch of upgrades over the X3 but the X3 still gets a lot of use.

This post, I left the camera up for a 45 minute Timelapse and it was literally 1 minute to edit.

And this one was a combination of a dash mount and a selfie stick, all edited on my phone.

The downsides are that they have 2 big fisheye lenses, so you canā€™t just set it down without a protective cover in place to prevent them getting damaged. They also have a lot more touch screen and lense area than the GoPro, so more potential damage area. They do offer lense and screen protectors though.
And in the app, their AI editing features tend towards selfies more than scenery so I pretty much manually edit everything.

Battery life seems to be roughly the same as the GoPro.
Water resistance is the same as well.
There are times where the GoPro depth of field is more useful, but for general purposes I definitely prefer the Insta360

Hope you find this information useful šŸ˜Š

JT, can you start and stop the 360 from the phone app, or do you have to manually start the camera? I like to mount my old go pro on my jeeps front bumper, but the remote as a PIA and never knew if it was recording or not. (My GoPros are very old, Hero and Hero 2)

JT, can you start and stop the 360 from the phone app, or do you have to manually start the camera? I like to mount my old go pro on my jeeps front bumper, but the remote as a PIA and never knew if it was recording or not. (My GoPros are very old, Hero and Hero 2)
Yes, you can control the camera from the app. Thereā€™s also a GPS remote that can add gps info to the video, like speed, direction and elevation. It can also be used to start and stop recording. It has strap so you can attach it to your steering wheel.

Latest Discussions

Back