Interior noise question

Jan 15, 2024
I am wanting to buy a new Xpedition. Should I let the interior noise stop me? Only other thing holding me up is I want Camo color as is holds up better and doesn't show the brush pin stripes as bad.

Last edited:
Interior noise is more than annoying. Can communicate with people in the cab, but have to speak up. Typically I have intercom head phones on and listening to music. Life has trade-off's. It's a personal preference thing. Much of the noise is coming from clutch, which Polaris acknowledges and has indicated their intent to moderate. Other owners have replaced stock clutch with third party. It's generally agreed that the source of the noise is more than the clutch. That said, I love my rig and wouldn't purchase anything else in the current UTV market space.

Interior noise is more than annoying. Can communicate with people in the cab, but have to speak up. Typically I have intercom head phones on and listening to music. Life has trade-off's. It's a personal preference thing. Much of the noise is coming from clutch, which Polaris acknowledges and has indicated their intent to moderate. Other owners have replaced stock clutch with third party. It's generally agreed that the source of the noise is more than the clutch. That said, I love my rig and wouldn't purchase anything else in the current UTV market space.
The noise is coming from the engine because of how it’s geared and clutched. It’s a heavy machine and underpowered which is why they geared it this way. New clutching or gearing will drop rpm’s of the engine allowing it to be quieter but will result in more loss of power

The noise is not coming from the clutch itself. The aftermarket kits lower the rpm, which is what the Polaris fix will do.
The new Prostar engine has a very noisy valve train as compared to the old one. Not sure if they can do anything to quieten that up.
With the Aftermarket Assassin's cruiser clutch kit and insulating the tunnel, and rear firewall (both sides) I am 90% happy with it. Cruising in high at 40 mph it's quieter than my General was. It's still geared so low that I drive in high 90% of the time. I use low only for rocks and steep inclines and then I keep it under 5 mph.

The noise is not coming from the clutch itself. The aftermarket kits lower the rpm, which is what the Polaris fix will do.
The new Prostar engine has a very noisy valve train as compared to the old one. Not sure if they can do anything to quieten that up.
With the Aftermarket Assassin's cruiser clutch kit and insulating the tunnel, and rear firewall (both sides) I am 90% happy with it. Cruising in high at 40 mph it's quieter than my General was. It's still geared so low that I drive in high 90% of the time. I use low only for rocks and steep inclines and then I keep it under 5 mph.
How did you get to the tunnel sir? Did you drop the skid plate?

How did you get to the tunnel sir? Did you drop the skid plate?
From the top. I took it completely out and insulated it
1000007525.jpg

So . . . I will probably tick some folks off. I do not mean this disrespectfully, but if you want quite, get a jeep. I have 2 and love them for rock crawling, but they beat you to death on the trail when driving, however I also have a Can Am x3 turbo rr 4 seater (pictured left) that fly's down the trail, and is much noisier than my Northstar.

I have the ADV5, and maybe because its a 4 seater, the noise level is substantially less than my Can Am, and to me is not annoying at all. It is part of the cost of having fun in these machine's.

As I said, if you want quiet with a comfortable conversation, then you should go the jeep route, if you want to have a fast, marshmallow smooth ride down the trail, go Polaris (or Can Am) and accept the price of admission.

Just my 2 cents (now twenty bucks due to Bidenomics) worth.

So . . . I will probably tick some folks off. I do not mean this disrespectfully, but if you want quite, get a jeep. I have 2 and love them for rock crawling, but they beat you to death on the trail when driving, however I also have a Can Am x3 turbo rr 4 seater (pictured left) that fly's down the trail, and is much noisier than my Northstar.

I have the ADV5, and maybe because its a 4 seater, the noise level is substantially less than my Can Am, and to me is not annoying at all. It is part of the cost of having fun in these machine's.

As I said, if you want quiet with a comfortable conversation, then you should go the jeep route, if you want to have a fast, marshmallow smooth ride down the trail, go Polaris (or Can Am) and accept the price of admission.

Just my 2 cents (now twenty bucks due to Bidenomics) worth.
Jeeps ride like crap on the trails. Us in SxS's can go twice as fast

My Turbo R is so noisy I wear ear plugs. My previous XP Turbo was way quieter.
Ever rode in a Can-Am Defender? Quiet as my F150. If Can Am can do it so can Polaris

Jeeps ride like crap on the trails. Us in SxS's can go twice as fast

My Turbo R is so noisy I wear ear plugs. My previous XP Turbo was way quieter.
Ever rode in a Can-Am Defender? Quiet as my F150. If Can Am can do it so can Polaris
Agree, no reason that Polaris couldn't have improved noise control. New Polaris Dude must be a Polaris engineer.

I mean… if it’s apples to apples, the Polaris Ranger is as quiet as a can-am defender. And you get the entire 82 horsepower to play with!

The Xpedition is an entirely different class. It’s intended for sport and adventure whereas the Defender and Ranger are intended for utility.

Latest Discussions

Back