Front end CLUNK!

B B

Jun 7, 2023
Playing in the mud
I believe this topic was already discussed however, I can't seem to find it. I'll be bringing my machine to the dealer to have the clutch kit installed and mentioned to them about a clunking noise in the front end.

To better explain, when I back out of my garage I get the clunk 99% of the time. Also, it sometimes occurs when turning. I want to say when turning hard, but can't 100% narrow it down to say it only happens when turning hard..

For anyone who's had this same issue any information is greatly appreciated. I have complete confidence in my dealership as they've been great so far and I'm sure they'll be able to address the problem however, I just need some idea(s) of what to expect. Thanks in advance.

I believe this topic was already discussed however, I can't seem to find it. I'll be bringing my machine to the dealer to have the clutch kit installed and mentioned to them about a clunking noise in the front end.

To better explain, when I back out of my garage I get the clunk 99% of the time. Also, it sometimes occurs when turning. I want to say when turning hard, but can't 100% narrow it down to say it only happens when turning hard..

For anyone who's had this same issue any information is greatly appreciated. I have complete confidence in my dealership as they've been great so far and I'm sure they'll be able to address the problem however, I just need some idea(s) of what to expect. Thanks in advance.
I experience the same and I think originated the original question/thread you saw. Mine seems to only do it while moving. I’ve been over the front end and can’t find any problems. I feel like I hear the noise from the spring and shock area. I have a dual rate spring kit to install and am curious if that fixes it. Keep us posted on what your dealer finds. Unfortunately I don’t have the same confidence in mine so haven’t gone down that road.

I too feel like I hear this clunk in the front end and to me it sounds like a combination of steering and like a shock being loose or something but like BADXP I have been all over and nothing is loose or anything so I too am curious - it's almost like a clunk / pop that seems to have something to do with the way everything is articulating?

I too feel like I hear this clunk in the front end and to me it sounds like a combination of steering and like a shock being loose or something but like BADXP I have been all over and nothing is loose or anything so I too am curious - it's almost like a clunk / pop that seems to have something to do with the way everything is articulating?
Mine has the same sound. I haven’t checked on my machine yet, but when removing the A-arms on my brother’s to install the HCR suspension I found one of the ball joints loose in the loop in the a-arm. It pretty much fell out where the others had to be pressed out. The ball joint itself was fine and pressed into the HCR a-arm just fine so the problem was the a-arms tolerance.

Mine has been in the shop for about a month for this. The clunk I get is when I drive over obstacles and in ditches, etc. First they replaced the tie rods. That didn't fix it. Last I heard they said it was the steering rack and they were getting with Polaris on that

Mine has the same sound. I haven’t checked on my machine yet, but when removing the A-arms on my brother’s to install the HCR suspension I found one of the ball joints loose in the loop in the a-arm. It pretty much fell out where the others had to be pressed out. The ball joint itself was fine and pressed into the HCR a-arm just fine so the problem was the a-arms tolerance.
Didn't the ball joint have a clip on it to hold it in place?
So the sound is gone with the HCR a arms?

Yes and by the hub knuckle. But it still would’ve had some play. When I get a bit to disassemble mine I’ll check it and see if that’s an issue on mine as well. I purchased a set of Kryptonite tie rods a while back but haven’t had the chance to install them.

Not sure yet if it’s fixed it. At the same time we found a bolt missing from a lower rear a-arm that caused it to tweak the back bolt tabs and cracked it in a couple places. Polaris took it on warranty and is replacing the frame. They were also going to replace that front a-arm but with him doing HCR I haven’t heard the results on that.

Yes and by the hub knuckle. But it still would’ve had some play. When I get a bit to disassemble mine I’ll check it and see if that’s an issue on mine as well. I purchased a set of Kryptonite tie rods a while back but haven’t had the chance to install them.

Not sure yet if it’s fixed it. At the same time we found a bolt missing from a lower rear a-arm that caused it to tweak the back bolt tabs and cracked it in a couple places. Polaris took it on warranty and is replacing the frame. They were also going to replace that front a-arm but with him doing HCR I haven’t heard the results on that.
Rhanks for that information. I've used green loctite before and had good success with loose ball joints

Didn't the ball joint have a clip on it to hold it in place?
So the sound is gone with the HCR a arms?
Mine has been in the shop for about a month for this. The clunk I get is when I drive over obstacles and in ditches, etc. First they replaced the tie rods. That didn't fix it. Last I heard they said it was the steering rack and they were getting with Polaris on that
I had a general did the same thing clunk or bang it turned out to be very low nitrogen in shocks all were low 2 very low the fronts backs not as bad. After shocks were full of nitrogen no more clunking or banging ,You might have those checked out also.

I had a general did the same thing clunk or bang it turned out to be very low nitrogen in shocks all were low 2 very low the fronts backs not as bad. After shocks were full of nitrogen no more clunking or banging ,You might have those checked out also.
That's what I have figured all along. My General had the same problem but it had Fox RC2 shocks from Shock Therapy.
Not sure why they can't check them. They first changed the tie rods and now have a new steering rack on order..

Mine had a bad ball joint on the front driver's side already at 400 miles.....wasn't the main reason for the clunk though. My clunk is coming from the front sway bar bushings being shot already. Being replaced by the dealer this week. You could grab it with your bare hands and shake it and hear the clunk easy.

Dealer replaced the steering rack/EPS, and still clunking. Now they are going to completely remove the front sway bar and see if the noise is from there. If not that, then they are going to swap out the shocks from another Xpedition. I will keep the group informed

Dealer replaced the steering rack/EPS, and still clunking. Now they are going to completely remove the front sway bar and see if the noise is from there. If not that, then they are going to swap out the shocks from another Xpedition. I will keep the group informed
I was hoping to find something valuable here. My front end clunk started this weekend after installing HCR mid travel and 35s. Swore up and down it was a sway bar clunk I had heard before but never could find anything loose. Keep me up to date please.

I was hoping to find something valuable here. My front end clunk started this weekend after installing HCR mid travel and 35s. Swore up and down it was a sway bar clunk I had heard before but never could find anything loose. Keep me up to date please.
Will do.. I put 32's on mine and the clunk seemed to get worse. I still think the shocks need nitrogen and the larger tires make the clunk worse because of the extra weight

Will do.. I put 32's on mine and the clunk seemed to get worse. I still think the shocks need nitrogen and the larger tires make the clunk worse because of the extra weight
That’s almost what mine sounds like. A sway bar bushing or shock bottoming out. But the bumps in my opinion I was hitting weren’t large enough to cause a shock blow out I wouldn’t think.

That’s almost what mine sounds like. A sway bar bushing or shock bottoming out. But the bumps in my opinion I was hitting weren’t large enough to cause a shock blow out I wouldn’t think.
Agree it isn’t bottom out. Mine does it backing out of the shed.

Mine does it backing out of the shed.
This is what mine did initially. I took it to the dealer and they resolved that issue. After bringing it home the other day I had a chance to take her out yesterday only to find out the clunking now occurs 10x more when just driving trails. My trails are very rocky. It definitely clunks a shit ton more now on rough terrain which it did not do prior to having it looked at. I did take it for a test run at the dealer and it didn't make any noise however, the riding area is flat leading me to believe it's the rougher/rocky terrain causing whatever the problem is to make the clunking noise. I'm getting a tad pissed, which was the old me, however, for the money I better soon hear nothing other than the engine.

This is what mine did initially. I took it to the dealer and they resolved that issue. After bringing it home the other day I had a chance to take her out yesterday only to find out the clunking now occurs 10x more when just driving trails. My trails are very rocky. It definitely clunks a shit ton more now on rough terrain which it did not do prior to having it looked at. I did take it for a test run at the dealer and it didn't make any noise however, the riding area is flat leading me to believe it's the rougher/rocky terrain causing whatever the problem is to make the clunking noise. I'm getting a tad pissed, which was the old me, however, for the money I better soon hear nothing other than the engine.
I 200% agree. I loved how sporty this thing. Feels even though it’s as big as it is. Keep me up to date on what they say. I take mine back to dealer tomorrow for service and have that checked.

Reactions: B B
Mine doesn't do it on flat ground. Only rocky stuff. I had to find a ditch at the dealership to drive through so they could hear it.
Haven't hear back since they removed the sway bar for testing

Back