Forest Service Roads

LarryD

Apr 30, 2024
Carson, WA
I'm looking for information on travel restrictions on Forest Service Roads. I'm currently in the Gifford Pinchot in Washington State and driving on a Forest Service Road is prohibited with my NorthStar ADV, even though it is as big or bigger that some car models we see on public roads.

My question.
Are other FS Districts allowing SxS for on road use?

The US Supreme Court's "Chevron Deference Case" has shown that our local FS Districts, are acting on Forest Orders and not laws as written by our elected law makers.

The USDA and the Forest Service are listed as agencies that have overstepped their authority in the Chevron Deference case by implementing "orders" based on Forest Service interpretations and not by laws that are enacted by elected officials.

Here is a link to better understand Chevron Deference: What is the Chevron deference and why has it been overruled?

This is a huge rabbit hole that I don't think the agencies will voluntarily comply with.

I’ve found OnX off-road maps to be very helpful for planning out trips. It shows restrictions as well as private v public lands etc.

When it comes to enforcement, it always comes down to the individual doing the enforcing. We’ve dealt with more than a few “Revenue Generation Officers” who don’t actually care what the law is, they’re just there to boost their status and generate revenue for their departments, regardless of legality. As a general rule, it’s better not to argue with those types but fight it in court. If it’s the same officer multiple times and you get the tickets dismissed each time, you can file a restraining order against that officer for harassment.

That being said, there are the few who are doing legitimate and good work. Their efforts at enforcing legitimate regulations and laws to protect people and environments from unscrupulous people is much appreciated.

In Idaho, it is legal to ride SxS's on forest service roads as long as you have the restricted license plate. To ride off road legally, you need an off road sticker.

Nice to know. Our district is very strict and proves that since other FS roads are open in other areas that this is under a Forest Order which has been shown by the Supreme Court to be illegal.
Thanks

Latest Discussions

Back