Can of Worms... Insulation and Sound Deadening

BigJason

May 31, 2024
Mansfield, Texas
While I am in the middle of the build I thought I might ask a question of noise and insulation. I have the headliner removed to run the wiring for the scene lights, 50" light bar and so on.

Insulation, I was thinking of adding reflectix between the roof and the headliner as another barrier to help control temps, I have already ceramic tinted the buggy windows and was thinking the reflectix could help a bit on the plastic roof.

Now for the noise, do you think adding a type of dynamat or sound batting to the roof would help with sound and temp control? I would also install these products on the B-Pillars as many say the air vents are also creating engine noise. Worth the upgrade?

I have the entire Terick Soultions kit but have not installed any of it yet on.

We just started using Cardo Packtalk Edge ORV intercoms. We initially bought them for our helmets when we ride where helmets are required, and am pretty pleased with them. Makes it easy to communicate with each other while riding. Then, just today we received our Cardo headsets, that use our existing intercoms, for when helmets are not required. We just tried them out today, and they are the perfect solution for the cab noise. They really muffle the noise and they are crystal clear when speaking to each other. I'd highly recommend them.

Attachments

• PXL_20240627_195634070.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240627_195634070.NIGHT.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 26
We just started using Cardo Packtalk Edge ORV intercoms. We initially bought them for our helmets when we ride where helmets are required, and am pretty pleased with them. Makes it easy to communicate with each other while riding. Then, just today we received our Cardo headsets, that use our existing intercoms, for when helmets are not required. We just tried them out today, and they are the perfect solution for the cab noise. They really muffle the noise and they are crystal clear when speaking to each other. I'd highly recommend them.
We like them too. Used them in the dunes 2 weeks ago. Worked really well when wife and son were in their own machines and they could hop in with me since no wires!

While I am in the middle of the build I thought I might ask a question of noise and insulation. I have the headliner removed to run the wiring for the scene lights, 50" light bar and so on.

Insulation, I was thinking of adding reflectix between the roof and the headliner as another barrier to help control temps, I have already ceramic tinted the buggy windows and was thinking the reflectix could help a bit on the plastic roof.

Now for the noise, do you think adding a type of dynamat or sound batting to the roof would help with sound and temp control? I would also install these products on the B-Pillars as many say the air vents are also creating engine noise. Worth the upgrade?

I added insulation between the headliner and roof. Not sure if it helped or not but sure can't hurt. I used Siless sound deadening foam off of Amazon. Took it up in the mountains twice this week. Didn't feel any heat from the roof area but heat still gets into the cab from the dash area.

We used 1” dynamat . $700 worth on whole machine . I lowered decibels by 10 . We have road in 40 to 90 temps . We normally have to back off ac temp with low fan speed or we start getting cold .

I added reflectix between the headliner and the roof. Here in Arizona it makes a difference with the heat. Your best bet with reducing the noise in the cab is a clutch kit to reduce rpms. I installed the Gillomen Innovations kit and the noise reduction is so good I'm getting rid of my Cardo headsets. I also an seeing a huge increase in mpg. It doesn't effect performance that much at all and if that's a problem for you than I think you purchased the wrong machine. None of the noise mods will get you as good as a result as a clutch kit to get those ridiculously high rpms down.

I added reflectix between the headliner and the roof. Here in Arizona it makes a difference with the heat. Your best bet with reducing the noise in the cab is a clutch kit to reduce rpms. I installed the Gillomen Innovations kit and the noise reduction is so good I'm getting rid of my Cardo headsets. I also an seeing a huge increase in mpg. It doesn't effect performance that much at all and if that's a problem for you than I think you purchased the wrong machine. None of the noise mods will get you as good as a result as a clutch kit to get those ridiculously high rpms down.
I am only adding the reflectix to try and help with temp control since we live in a humid area, didn't think it would hurt to try it. As far as sound, we are not disappointed at all with the sound although I will admit it is why I did NOT purchase one when they first delivered. I am glad that we did purchase it "at a later date" and happy with it.
I am one who drinks the kool-aid and figured I would add the sound deadner to the flooring to help, my question was if a sound deadner would help in the roof area- sort of like a car. I also have added the Rugged system to mainly communicate between cars but went with their headsets as well. Once I complete the install of these accessories, I will be reaching out to Gillomen after my TF LK arrives and the 35's are installed.

We used 1” dynamat . $700 worth on whole machine . I lowered decibels by 10 . We have road in 40 to 90 temps . We normally have to back off ac temp with low fan speed or we start getting cold .
RNBJones ? Anyway you can send some pictures of what the finished product looks like with the Dynamat installed. I have tried a few things with some sound deadening products, my decibels are still around 90.

How are you guys reading DB levels? Can you download an app on your iPhone? If we all had the same measuring device and used it the same way we could compare different products and see real results

RNBJones ? Anyway you can send some pictures of what the finished product looks like with the Dynamat installed. I have tried a few things with some sound deadening products, my decibels are still around 90.
I am not one for taking pics . You can not tell any insulation as it’s covered by headliner . I have an ADV so when I installed my turbo kit I had whole back of machine apart I took this opportunity to insulate under bed on sides of bed between engine and cab under driveshaft tunnel.

Attachments

• IMG_0831.mov
    2.9 MB
Back