Breaks

attakracer

Mar 16, 2024
Sault Ste. Marie MI
Has anyone found a fix for the terrible brakes on these things ??? I love the car other than the horrible stopping power !! Is there a bigger rotor kit out there or braided stainless lines or something else to fix this problem ??????????

Just under 1500 miles, and no better than when it was new ! Worse now actually, you gotta stand on the pedal to get them to work !!! And even then you cant even lock up the tires on graveel road.
You have an issue somewhere it seems. Mine are just fine. Takes more to stop than my single cab ranger but I’m never standing on them to stop.

Just under 1500 miles, and no better than when it was new ! Worse now actually, you gotta stand on the pedal to get them to work !!! And even then you cant even lock up the tires on graveel road.
Disregard my last. That's way too many miles to still be as you described.

Since the Xpedition uses the same rotor as the 1500HD, I wonder how hard it would be for Polaris to put the same brake system on the Xpedition as the 1500HD?

When I got mine I did 6 hard brake stop from 60 MPH to break them in. It did help. They still are a far cry from the RZR Turbo XP I had. You used to be able to ride the brakes while accelerating to "break them in", but if you try that on anything built since 2015 it will just cut the power to the engine and throw a code. From what I've been reading it sounds like the supplier's material mix may be inconsistent, or the brake pad material may be too hard. Try looking around the aftermarket to see if anyone has come out with a softer material with a higher coefficient of friction. The only downside to softer brake pads is they won't last as long.

We just made a couple trips up two very rocky and steep trails in Colorado. Had to ride the brakes quite a bit coming down both. Brakes are a little better than they were.. Machine had about 350 miles on it and the brakes sucked. Now they have 450

When I got mine I did 6 hard brake stop from 60 MPH to break them in. It did help. They still are a far cry from the RZR Turbo XP I had. You used to be able to ride the brakes while accelerating to "break them in", but if you try that on anything built since 2015 it will just cut the power to the engine and throw a code. From what I've been reading it sounds like the supplier's material mix may be inconsistent, or the brake pad material may be too hard. Try looking around the aftermarket to see if anyone has come out with a softer material with a higher coefficient of friction. The only downside to softer brake pads is they won't last as long.
I have looked around the aftermarket and came up empty, thats why I'm asking here, Strength in numbers !!! Lol !! I was hoping somone on here may have stumbled on to a company that sells a "racing " break kit or something !!!!

I have the XP 2dr Northstar, the brakes are terrible. The dealer replaced the master cylinder on mine and 2 others, did not help at all. I contacted Polaris support, they said check with your dealer. The Ranger XD has power assisted brakes, maybe that's what is needed. With 2 people and a little gear these machines weigh around 3,000 lbs. Traild is going to have Ceramic pads available in a few weeks, I will try those. Sad Polaris does not recognize this problem and offer a fix.

The Xpedition brakes really do feel spongy. You’d think Polaris would have beefed them up for the weight the machine is rated for. If it’s bad on your 2 seater, consider how much worse on a 5 seat that’s fully loaded out, with rooftop tent and everything…

Definitely let us know if the ceramic pads help.

No doubt if you find yourself in an "oh shit" moment, there's a good chance it won't end well. I often think about this issue and I really hope nobody gets seriously hurt or worse, because of the brakes on these machines. They recommend babying the brakes when new and they do get a little better over time however, if you find yourself in a jam you're libel to be in deep shit.

I have the XP 2dr Northstar, the brakes are terrible. The dealer replaced the master cylinder on mine and 2 others, did not help at all. I contacted Polaris support, they said check with your dealer. The Ranger XD has power assisted brakes, maybe that's what is needed. With 2 people and a little gear these machines weigh around 3,000 lbs. Traild is going to have Ceramic pads available in a few weeks, I will try those. Sad Polaris does not recognize this problem and offer a fix.
Please let us know if they help !!!

Latest Discussions

Back