Battery recommendations

NKYHUNTER

Aug 12, 2023
nky
Well I was curious about what other batteries to use in the expedition like agm , lithium etc. so I send email to Polaris, and this is what I got back.
Thank you for contacting Polaris Inc.

Unfortunately Polaris is only able to recommend the usage of the stock OEM battery for the 2024 Polaris Xpedition. We are only able to recommend items that have been tested and verified for your specific vehicle by authorized Polaris engineers. If you could please reach out to your local Polaris dealership as they will be able to assist you further as we provide our dealerships with the technical staff and support for questions like this.

If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

Thank you!

Tim, Representative PG&A Customer Connections
2100 Highway 55 | Medina, MN 55340

www.polaris.com | 1-800-765-2747

I would have thought that Polaris would say ok to agm batteries but only lead ass batteries.
They'll also tell you that only polaris engine oil works in these machines. And that 30" tires are the largest you can run. And so on.
Me, I'll run the lead acid for 14 to 16 months then swap out for odyssey AGM

The owners manual recommends an AGM battery charger. Weird.

If you do not drive the vehicle for more than TWO WEEKS, Polaris recommends using a BatteryMINDer® 2012 AGM - 2 AMP charger, which can be ordered through your dealer.

I looked the other day and its a lead acid battery- part #Battery, Flooded, Filled, 575 CCA, Part 4014132-P all expeditions come from factory like this.
Well this is strange. I went by the owners manual recommending to use an agm charger. I just checked my owners manual and there is no battery model info. Why they would recommend an agm charger for a flooded wet cell battery is beyond me. Are you saying you pulled the driver's seat and inspected the battery and it was flooded with removable caps?

This is from the Polaris site, from parts for the expedition, I also confirmed by looking in the battery compartment .
1693946820019.png
1693947312944.png

This is from the Polaris site, from parts for the expedition, I also confirmed by looking in the battery compartment .
View attachment 546View attachment 547
Just gets more interesting. I saw that parts diagram and found it was from a Razer, at least that's the way it came up even though my Xpedition was listed. It was copyrighted 2022, another indicator its not for our machines. But your pic definitely proves we have flooded wet cell batteries and they want us to charge them with an agm charger. Wonder why??

On another subject, related to batteries. What is the best battery to put in as an auxiliary second battery?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240813_092117_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240813_092117_Gmail.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 51
Warning long message and questions. :)

Well I've been watching this tread since I got my XP Northstar in April. Even at the dealer the machine gave an battery low error and then would not start unless jumped when I was given my Polaris Xpedition Orientation. I just chalked that up to being new and really not ridden and lots of battery on without the engine running.

Since then many low battery warnings, even during a ride and with key on, engine off while mapping, I have gotten the message.

Yes been trickle charging the XP between almost every ride if it happens to be a few days between ride while in the garage. Stock XP electrics but for the WD On Road Turn signal kit.

I took the XP in right before the warranty expired and another dealer service load tested the wet cell battery and stated all is good and the alternator is working.

I ask about an AGM battery with the thought it might have a few more CCA (575) rating. Dealer Service department had no idea. Told me to contact Polaris, which I did. Got an email back from Polaris PGA Customer Experience (Alex), which included Chapter 12 on the XP Chassis/Body Electrical. The Polaris XP/ADV can use their offered AGM battery 4081855 (CCA 620). Wet Cell in the Service Manual ( Stock for Factory - 4014132-P) is 575 CCA.

While I'm not allowed to post the chapter 12, per the mail, its the same one within I found else where as the complete Service Manual.

Another consideration I had was the charging aspect both within the alternator and trickle charging. I could not determine if the the XP could or would change its charging method as it was describe in the the Chapter 12 for trickle charging between Wet Cell and ADM, as that was my question I had for the Polaris both at the dealer and Polaris PGA Customer Experience. Xpedition alternator or within the vehicle electronic doesn't seem to know or able to change between Wet Cell, Wet Cell Low Maintenance (Sealed) or AGM. But the SM does specify different trickle charging requirements between the 3 types of approve battery options. Such are normal full charged voltage, Charging rates and Float Charging rates. 2 amp charger for AGM and 1.5 amp charger for either wet cell battery.

Now I figure the stock wet cell is just not enough battery for these Xpeditions. The charging is probably adequate?

Who has either gone to the dual battery setup (which I do not want to do), or found a bigger CCA or amp hour battery than what Polaris offers, which still fits within the space provided? Or are running the Polaris AGM and if they still are having battery low warning messages?

If your machine neither has a bad battery nor a charging system issue, it likely has something drawing on the battery when the the key is off.
I’d check any added accessories such as radios, lights, turn signal kits, etc… If everything is wired through the busbar I’d check its relay to make sure it’s completely shutting off. They can fail in a way that allows a slight amount of power to trickle through and drain the battery.

The factory battery is plenty good for a stock Xpedition. The only reason to go to a bigger battery or dual battery system would be if there’s a bunch of extra accessories that draw a lot of power.

So the stock flooded battery is 7.01” H x 6.55” W x 7.73” L

This is what I found for a high performance battery that should fit.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back