4wd problem

JPrince

Jul 27, 2023
south Texas
I was driving through some soft ground that was a little muddy and so for the first time since I've had my xpedition, I put it in 4wd. As soon as I did, I heard and felt a growling sound.
As soon as I took it out of 4wd, the sound and feeling went away. I turned it back on and it came right back. After I got out on some hard ground I tried it again and it was barely noticeable.
It was still there but not nearly as bad.
Has anyone else had this issue?

My 4wd didnt seem to make any noise or feel different but thats just on some old jeep trails.... shes in pieces from a turn signal install gone awry but will find some mud when I get er back together and see if any different and let u know!

I can definitely feel the “growling” feel when I’m running 4WD but it’s not extreme or noisy.

I believe the four wheel only kicks in and engages the front when it senses rear wheel spin and this engagement happens in the transmission. The front half shafts and driveshaft are always moving even in 2wd.

I have a slight vibration when the four-wheel drive in engaged, it seems that it's not in sync with the rear. I've had several RZRs and haven't had this vibration in the steering when its engaged.

Thanks,

2024 ADV 5

Man it just gets better. Yes, I just started experiencing this a couple days after getting my machine back from having the front differential replaced. I first heard it when I engaged the four wheel drive as I was going through some mud. I headed for solid ground to confirm I was hearing what I thought I was hearing and it was confirmed. Brought it home and did the same in my driveway and could clearly hear it and feel slight vibration in the steering wheel. Both the noise and the vibrating in the steering wheel seem to be more easily noticeable in high gear on hard surface, although I also hear it in low, and no it's not the tires. I've tested it every which way possible on all different terrain and it's there. It really F's with your head as it's sometimes very noticeable and others not so much. I've yet to bring it to the attention of the dealership as I'm fed up with dealing with this machine and searching for the patience to deal with yet another issue.

"Growling" is good way of describing it as it's very close to a grinding noise, but not quite that extreme. I was close to starting this same thread, but held off because ever since it started I brought the machine out and did the same thing in my driveway hoping it was just me losing my mind. The definition of "insane" comes to mind with that last statement.

Last edited:
Man it just gets better. Yes, I just started experiencing this a couple days after getting my machine back from having the front differential replaced. I first heard it when I engaged the four wheel drive as I was going through some mud. I headed for solid ground to confirm I was hearing what I thought I was hearing and it was confirmed. Brought it home and did the same in my driveway and could clearly hear it and feel slight vibration in the steering wheel. Both the noise and the vibrating in the steering wheel seem to be more easily noticeable in high gear on hard surface, although I also hear it in low, and no it's not the tires. I've tested it every which way possible on all different terrain and it's there. It really F's with your head as it's sometimes very noticeable and others not so much. I've yet to bring it to the attention of the dealership as I'm fed up with dealing with this machine and searching for the patience to deal with yet another issue.
What other problems have you had with it ?? And how many miles you got on it ?

The infamous "front end clunk" which it's been to the dealer twice to try and figure out. The first attempt they found a bolt backing out on the steering rack. That didn't fix it. Second attempt they replaced front diff. That didn't fix it either. Other than stupid little stuff like the windshield leaking, door seals falling off and paint chipping off of not one, but two heat shields, the "front end clunk" and now the growling noise are what's raising my blood pressure.

As for miles I'm not even sure, but it's not many. I'll have to check tomorrow.

My suspicion on the front end clunking problems is that it could be the A-arm bushings. On the 2 Xpeditions I’ve had in my shop, that had the bad clunking noises, both made the noise by just bouncing the suspension. Neither owner asked for it to be looked into, so I can’t confirm the suspicion. My machine hasn’t had that particular problem.

My guess would be bad tolerances or a need for lubrication.

The infamous "front end clunk" which it's been to the dealer twice to try and figure out. The first attempt they found a bolt backing out on the steering rack. That didn't fix it. Second attempt they replaced front diff. That didn't fix it either. Other than stupid little stuff like the windshield leaking, door seals falling off and paint chipping off of not one, but two heat shields, the "front end clunk" and now the growling noise are what's raising my blood pressure.

As for miles I'm not even sure, but it's not many. I'll have to check tomorrow.
So you’re saying the clunk is coming from a heat shield?!!!!!??? I would be super interested to hear which one and try and asses myself. Again, it’s not terrible what I hear but it is very annoying. I also noticed the front end parts don’t have lube points. Even on HCR long travel like my can am did. This seems foreign to me.

Back