24 ADV 5: Bad crankshaft

PMLGreenCtr

Aug 20, 2024
Indiana
Bought the unit used from a buddy November of 2023, last week it would not start or do anything. Checked brake sensor and starter solenoid all were fine. Dropped it off at the dealership, they said it was the starter. Of course I am out of warranty… $1300.00 to fix it. They called today after replacing it, now the crankshaft is bad and needs replaced. They said there is another Xpedition at their dealership with the same issue. Dealership is now trying to get Polaris to cover the costs with a Good Will warranty claim. Has anyone else heard of this issue? Unit has 92 hours on it and has been serviced per the Polaris recommendations since brand new…..any insights would be appreciated. Thanks

This is the first time hearing of any with a bad crank.

$1300 sounds really excessive for just changing a starter. I know there’s a fair amount of work to get to the thing, but Damn!

Blew a rod thru block at 2000 miles with all
Service done on schedule every time Had ext warranty still had to argue been 7 weeks supposed to get it back this weekend idk if it was because of crank but Polaris did recommend my dealer to change out main bolt on flywheel bc it would not take factory spec of tourque. Sounds like they are all related to a common problem to me

Here is the initial feedback from the dealer, I will update once I get more info: We believe there is a potential manufacturing issue with these engines that is causing a lack of oil flow to the one way gear bushing, which is then causing a starter/one way bushing potential engine failure. Until we get it all the way tore down we won't know the full extent.

fyi ...My ADV5 is in the shop again. The pulley on the alternator spun off and shredded the serpentine belt. Hopefully, not crankshaft related based on that symptom? I have extended warranty. Service done by dealer. The engine will use a quart between oil changes.

Latest Discussions

Back