2024 Xped ADV NorthStar - Improvement Opportunities

Ozark Xpedition

Dec 30, 2023
Missouri
Start: 12/29/24
Last Update: 1/6/24

Well......, just pulled the trigger and picked up a beautiful orange 2024 Xpedition ADV Narthstar (2dr).
I have broken one of my long standing rules of not buying the 1st model year.

Just for sake of entertainment I thought I'd keep a list of defects found on my first year Xpedition:

• Door keys will not lock the doors. The same keys will lock the rear hatch and actuate the console lock, however the console lock needs some alignment. Interesting that the dealer tried locking the doors on another Xpedition on their showroom floor and found the same problem.
  • Windshield wiper "parks" way too high at end of the stroke, on top of the windshield hinge!
  • Passenger door seal twisted at location near A-pillar, poor sealing.

(Updates as they develop)

Last edited:
Try shooting some WD40 in the door locks. It was almost impossible to lock and unlock the doors when we got ours. A little lube made all the difference.
Thank you 4merMP, that is certainly worth a try. At this time the Xpedition is back at the dealer for that problem. They sure are nice rides. :)

Last edited:
I think everyone has experienced this. Almost breaks the keys before the lock budge
"Almost breaks the keys before the lock budges" - That could have been the case, I didn't push it. Left with it with the dealer, at a $40k MSRP I expect things to work.

Thanks for the feedback, Ryan. I just wanted to make sure I'm not out of line with my expectations.

"Almost breaks the keys before the lock budges" - That could have been the case, I didn't push it. Left with it with the dealer, at a $40k MSRP I expect things to work.

Thanks for the feedback, Ryan. I just wanted to make sure I'm not out of line with my expectations.
No problem, it loosens up with time. Someone in the dealership is playing the lock, unlock game right now. Lol

After talking with the dealer mechanic we came to the conclusion that when locking you must push inward on the door, in the area where the door latch mechanism contacts the hook on the door jamb, while turning the key.
There is a noticeable click or detent when the lock latching pawl grabs the hook.
Hoping this will "break-in" as time goes on. Maybe the door seals are still nice and new thereby not allowing full engagement of the lock latching mechanism.

Try shooting some WD40 in the door locks. It was almost impossible to lock and unlock the doors when we got ours. A little lube made all the difference.
Good call 4merMP. When I got my Xpedition back from the dealer it was still very difficult to lock the doors. I found that if you pull the door handle out and spray some silicone lube in the area behind the handle the locking action freed up quite a bit. I can now tell a distinct detent when rotating the key from lock to unlock. The area at the backside of the handle, at the key side, has some molded vertical ribs on it and passes in and out of the door skin when the handle is pulled. I used silicone spray with the red tube on the nozzle to get in that area. Works great now.......

Last edited:
My mechanic showed me the inside of the door locking device. It is a very poor design. The metal sliding portion of the lock is way too tight on the shaft making it very hard to engage the lock. Plus, it is a plastic piece trying to slide the metal slide. Guess what's going to break. Yep, the plastic. The lubricant is a band aide, but it does not fix the issue. I would use a silicone lubricant and not WD 40 which dries out. Remember using the lubricant is a band aide and it won't fix the design issue. Time for Polaris to redesign the locks. I think the bad part is part 11 on the Polaris parts diagram but I can't zoom in enough to show the issue.
Shop by vehicle | Polaris Off-Road Vehicles

Last edited:
Thank you Patyacht.
The homework you've done will help many of us with this design concern.
I agree with the use of silicone because I am not sure if a petroleum-based product will degrade the plastic lock components.
I must say that after using silicone and toggling the locks many times it appears they are working well, for now........
This may be one of the pitfalls common with first model year products.

My mechanic showed me the inside of the door locking device. It is a very poor design. The metal sliding portion of the lock is way too tight on the shaft making it very hard to engage the lock. Plus, it is a plastic piece trying to slide the metal slide. Guess what's going to break. Yep, the plastic. The lubricant is a band aide, but it does not fix the issue. I would use a silicone lubricant and not WD 40 which dries out. Remember using the lubricant is a band aide and it won't fix the design issue. Time for Polaris to redesign the locks. I think the bad part is part 11 on the Polaris parts diagram but I can't zoom in enough to show the issue.
Shop by vehicle | Polaris Off-Road Vehicles
Pushing in on the door when locking worked, unfortunately, the plastic piece is broke on one lock. So I'll get it to the dealer to fix it along with the paint on the exhuast heat shield

Well......, just pulled the trigger and picked up a beautiful orange 2024 Xpedition ADV Narthstar (2dr).

Just for sake of entertainment I thought I'd keep a list of defects found on my first year Xpedition:

• Door keys will not lock the doors. The same keys will lock the rear hatch and actuate the console lock, however the console lock needs some alignment. Interesting that the dealer tried locking the doors on another Xpedition on their showroom floor and found the same problem.
  • Windshield wiper "parks" way too high at end of the stroke, on top of the windshield hinge!

I have the Xpedition Ultimate seats 5. Thank goodness my husband bought the extended warrenty. Polaris has replaced the ride command, my front windshield still whistles, my drivers side window would not roll down (the wire harness for the window was pinched in the door) , and my door locks needed to be adjusted. Other than that, it's a GREAT car!

I have the Xpedition Ultimate seats 5. Thank goodness my husband bought the extended warrenty. Polaris has replaced the ride command, my front windshield still whistles, my drivers side window would not roll down (the wire harness for the window was pinched in the door) , all door locks needed to be adjusted. Other than that, it's a GREAT car!

Picked up ours on Thursday. Same problem with the locks as everyone else. The key itself seems a little weak as well. My Ranger Northstar has a more robust key for the doors. I'm thinking aftermarket power door locks. Anybody done that?

My door locks are bad too, will try silicone!
IMG_8399.jpg

This is by far the lamest tool set I’ve ever seen in a vehicle of this caliber.
No way to remove a tire, 19mm isn’t in there. No jack to help with a tire. One wrench, 8mm & 10 mm. A pair of pliers, really? And the handles give you barely a Phillips2 & a straight 2. 3 torx, a few fuses (ok, handy) and a 90 degree something I haven’t figured out yet. Spark plug wrench, ok. Scanner for belt change, ok ( picked up a spare today, $200 for the belt!)
Got a great toolset today, around $300 but everything you might need! Super ATV roll up set, all I had to do was add a Jack to my toolbox

Attachments

• IMG_8400.jpeg
    IMG_8400.jpeg
    687.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8401.jpeg
    IMG_8401.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 37
Back