2-door ADV Arrived at the Dealership!

4merMP

Jun 8, 2023
IN
m1911info.com
My wife & I went to see our new 2-door ADV at the dealership. They won't have it done until probably week after next. They're still waiting on the 3 harnesses for the lighting. They do have a small, grassy lot across the road, so we were able to jump in it and check it out.
Overall, I'd say we are pleased. We really didn't have the opportunity to test it anywhere other than the lot, but the ride was good and it really didn't feel top heavy or tippy. I'm pretty sure the shocks were set in the middle. I think the ride itself is definitely smoother than my Ranger Northstar with Elka Stage 5 shocks.
The cab was as quiet, or possibly a little quieter than the Ranger. Running about 15-18 mph, the stereo had to be turned up to about 50-60% volume for me to feel like I was hearing it well enough. But I am hard of hearing. My wife, I'm sure, heard it better than I did. But honestly, not a big deal for us, either way, as we rarely ever have the radio on in anything, except for the GMRS on the trails.
I was a little bit disappointed in the interior seating. I'm 6'2" and could not begin to get my legs straightened out, with the seat all the way to the rear. It does have a little more leg room than the Ranger, but the console kinda crowds me at the knees. That will take some getting used to.
I also noticed I sit lower to the window than in my Ranger. In the Ranger, I can stick my head out and look down along the side when pulling on and off the trailer.
I think by putting a seat cushion in the seat, it will elevate me to be able to straighten my legs a bit more, and to be able to see down along the side of the vehicle. I would have probably used a cushion, regardless. Low back and hip issues. So that's no big deal.
I was surprised to see it didn't feel sluggish at all in the Comfort mode. I switched it to check the Standard and Sport modes, and yes, you certainly can tell the difference. But we didn't have the room to really check it much. I babied it, for the most part. Just drove fast enough in the turns to check for body roll. So far, so good.
I was surprised to not see a way to adjust the seat back on at least the driver side.
My wife, Vickie, felt like she was laying back in the seat, but after riding in it a few minutes, she said it wasn't really too bad. She is 5'4" and her left foot would not reach the foot rest. She could reach the right side foot rest alright, though.
Something else I didn't like is how low the seat belt snaps in. I wish they'd have extended it up a bit to make it easier to reach. But I think we can extend that with a little modification. The dealer also was going to check to see if the seat or angle of the seat might have some adjustment, like he said the high end RZR has.
The controls were all fine. Mostly the same as our Northstar with ride Command. So I think that will all be pretty intuitive.
I did look for the adjusters on top of the shocks, and can say they are more difficult to get to than I'd hoped...especially the right rear. I looked and couldn't even see the oil filter, but didn't ask the dealer about it. He had already said they hadn't really had a chance to even figure out how to get to it yet.
I think routine maintenance will be tougher to get to things than the Ranger...for sure. The guys ordering the XPs, however, won't see much difference.
A few pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_7044.JPG
    IMG_7044.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_7046.JPG
    IMG_7046.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7047.JPG
    IMG_7047.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7048.JPG
    IMG_7048.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
My wife & I went to see our new 2-door ADV at the dealership. They won't have it done until probably week after next. They're still waiting on the 3 harnesses for the lighting. They do have a small, grassy lot across the road, so we were able to jump in it and check it out.
Overall, I'd say we are pleased. We really didn't have the opportunity to test it anywhere other than the lot, but the ride was good and it really didn't feel top heavy or tippy. I'm pretty sure the shocks were set in the middle. I think the ride itself is definitely smoother than my Ranger Northstar with Elka Stage 5 shocks.
The cab was as quiet, or possibly a little quieter than the Ranger. Running about 15-18 mph, the stereo had to be turned up to about 50-60% volume for me to feel like I was hearing it well enough. But I am hard of hearing. My wife, I'm sure, heard it better than I did. But honestly, not a big deal for us, either way, as we rarely ever have the radio on in anything, except for the GMRS on the trails.
I was a little bit disappointed in the interior seating. I'm 6'2" and could not begin to get my legs straightened out, with the seat all the way to the rear. It does have a little more leg room than the Ranger, but the console kinda crowds me at the knees. That will take some getting used to.
I also noticed I sit lower to the window than in my Ranger. In the Ranger, I can stick my head out and look down along the side when pulling on and off the trailer.
I think by putting a seat cushion in the seat, it will elevate me to be able to straighten my legs a bit more, and to be able to see down along the side of the vehicle. I would have probably used a cushion, regardless. Low back and hip issues. So that's no big deal.
I was surprised to see it didn't feel sluggish at all in the Comfort mode. I switched it to check the Standard and Sport modes, and yes, you certainly can tell the difference. But we didn't have the room to really check it much. I babied it, for the most part. Just drove fast enough in the turns to check for body roll. So far, so good.
I was surprised to not see a way to adjust the seat back on at least the driver side.
My wife, Vickie, felt like she was laying back in the seat, but after riding in it a few minutes, she said it wasn't really too bad. She is 5'4" and her left foot would not reach the foot rest. She could reach the right side foot rest alright, though.
Something else I didn't like is how low the seat belt snaps in. I wish they'd have extended it up a bit to make it easier to reach. But I think we can extend that with a little modification. The dealer also was going to check to see if the seat or angle of the seat might have some adjustment, like he said the high end RZR has.
The controls were all fine. Mostly the same as our Northstar with ride Command. So I think that will all be pretty intuitive.
I did look for the adjusters on top of the shocks, and can say they are more difficult to get to than I'd hoped...especially the right rear. I looked and couldn't even see the oil filter, but didn't the dealer about it. He had already said they hadn't really had a chance to even figure out how to get to it yet.
I think routine maintenance will be tougher to get to things than the Ranger...for sure. The guys ordering the XPs, however, won't see much difference.
A few pictures...
It looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing a very thorough review of your initial impressions. Hopefully, some of your concerns can be addressed with some adjustments from the dealer after they get some time to familiarize themself with it.

I did look for the adjusters on top of the shocks, and can say they are more difficult to get to than I'd hoped...especially the right rear. I looked and couldn't even see the oil filter, but didn't ask the dealer about it. He had already said they hadn't really had a chance to even figure out how to get to it yet.
A few pictures...
I have never saw any Polaris product with an adjustable seat back- I have had an XP900, XP Turbo, Ranger, General and Turbo R. None are adjustable other than the Turbo R where you can tilt the entire seat back not just the back but then that brings your legs higher

Well, we finally picked up our ADV Northstar today. It came in more than a month ago, but with the holiday, the dealership didn't get started on until 7/5 adding all the options I purchased. They had all the factory options installed within a few days. But I kept ordering things. Then we were busy traveling for a couple weeks. That was enough time for the WD kit, GMRS radio and Rigid chase light to come in and be installed.

After opting for the chase light instead of the Rigid 10" light bar for the rear end, we decided to go with Rigid cube lights w/ flood pattern on the HD rear bumper. I was going to settle for for them being on a switch, but the guys at the shop found a harness that turned them into reverse/ back-up lights. With that harness, you can also put it into neutral and hold the brake down for 2 seconds to turn the light of and on when not in reverse. I thought that was pretty slick.

Here's my salesman, Brad, and service tech, Shawn, who did all the work at Indy Powersports. They really did a nice job for us.
20230804-093741.jpg

We're still waiting on our spare tire and the wiring harness for the 50" light bar to come in. But we were finally back home and decided to go pick it up and bring it home. I''ll get a lot more photos over the weekend.
PXL-20230804-191209507.jpg

Last edited:
I looked and couldn't even see the oil filter, but didn't ask the dealer about it. He had already said they hadn't really had a chance to even figure out how to get to it yet.
Looks awesome! 😊

I just did the break-in service on my brother’s XP5. There’s slightly more room around the oil filter than was on the Generals but it’s still in the same location so you have to reach around the front of the motor through the passenger wheel area. There was enough room to get a good hold on the filter and a little more room around the filter to tuck a rag in to soak up any oil that drips out. The filter is angled slightly down so it doesn’t try to drain the entire filter as you spin it off.

I’d expect the ADVs to be a little better for oil filling since there’s a panel in the floor to access the top of the engine, Whereas on the XP the bed doesn’t raise very high so you have to reach through a narrow area to the center of the machine to get to the fill plug.

The rear gearbox was a little more work to change the oil on. You have to remove the muffler to get to the fill plug. Only 2 bolts on the exhaust connector but it takes some pretty good tugs to get the hangers to come out of the rubber biscuits and then 6 bolts to remove the heat shield. The front differential was reasonably accessible.

Well, we finally picked up our ADV Northstar today. It came in more than a month ago, but with the holiday, the dealership didn't get started on until 7/5 adding all the options I purchased. They had all the factory options installed within a few days. But I kept ordering things. Then we were busy traveling for a couple weeks. That was enough time for the WD kit, GMRS radio and Rigid chase light to come in and be installed.

After opting for the chase light instead of the Rigid 10" light bar for the rear end, we decided to go with Rigid cube lights w/ flood pattern on the HD rear bumper. I was going to settle for for them being on a switch, but the guys at the shop found a harness that turned them into reverse/ back-up lights. With that harness, you can also put it into neutral and hold the brake down for 2 seconds to turn the light of and on when not in reverse. I thought that was pretty slick.

Here's my salesman, Brad, and service tech, Shawn, who did all the work at Indy Powersports. They really did a nice job for us.
20230804-093741.jpg

We're still waiting on our spare tire and the wiring harness for the 50" light bar to come in. But we were finally back home and decided to go pick it up and bring it home. I''ll get a lot more photos over the weekend.
PXL-20230804-191209507.jpg
Congrats on collecting your new Xpedition! It looks great and I'm excited to hear your thoughts after you get some seat time in it.

We took a little ride last night to check out how well all the lighting performs. I was really surprised and pleased with everything except the amber fog light. The stock headlights provide more than adequate lighting. The high beams are exceptionally bright and aimed well. I was thinking there wasn't much room for improvement until I switched on Rigid driving lights (part number 2889731) mounted in the HD front bumper. Wow! Those little lights are amazing. After turning them on, I began to question whether I even needed the 50" light bar up top.

We mounted Rigid flood pod lights (p.n. 2883126) on the HD rear bumper with a wiring harness from Sam's Backup Lights which allows them to work as back-up lights and rear work lights, if desired. Those lights really lit up the world backing out of the garage. It was like backing up in daylight.

I checked out several of the pre-programmed light patterns on the Rigid chase light and found several that would work well on the trails. I was most impressed, however, with it serving as a 3rd brake light.

The dealership elevated the driver's seat a couple inches for me, which really improved the leg room. That required lengthening the seat belt latch side. It's up high enough now that it's easy to see and get latched up. They also mounted my Midland MXT575 unit on the ROPS, which puts the speaker right at ear level. They also mounted me a snazzy little jack to plug in the microphone. That made a nice, clean installation.

The Pro Armor amber fog light in the lower grill is a spot, rather than a flood. I had hoped it's pattern would be wide enough to serve the purpose, but it wasn't. So we will yank that light out and install a couple Rigid flood pattern pod lights (p.n. 202123) in the same place. I should have given that more thought before opting for the 11" spot pattern. Oh well...that's the first mistake on this one so far.

I'll agree with many others who have posted about the noise level in the cab. But thankfully, I'm hard of hearing to the point it won't bother me too much with the added insulation and bed mat we're using.

A few pictures I took today.
brake-light-in-chase-light.png

turn-signal.png

IMG-7215.jpg

IMG-7216.jpg

IMG-7218.jpg

IMG-7220.jpg

IMG-7225.jpg

IMG-7226.jpg

IMG-7228.jpg

IMG-7231.jpg

IMG-7233.jpg