Xpedition ADV Northstar Excessive cab heat

madwar

May 29, 2024
Wisconsin
We have a new xpedition northstar and looking for suggestions on reducing cab heat. After 40 minutes of driving in warm weather the heat coming up from around the seats becomes too much. We have a/c but that’s just not enough to compensate for it.
We only see an external heat shield or interior insulation as a fix. Has anyone had any success with either? Thanks!

We have a 2 seater XP and have zero heat complaints, the A/C will absolutely freeze you out. I'm guessing having the entire rear enclosed sitting over the engine on an ADV creates quite a hot box. The noise on the other hand pisses me off, I've added sound deadening materials and also re-clutched mine, so it's much better than it was. It's possible that my sound deadener also help with heat reflection.

What sound deadening material did you use? We have read that this is an option for cab heat issues or an exterior heat shield. We just don’t know which would work better. Thanks

I used Siless Hybrid 3 in 1 5mm. I did the entire rear wall behind factory mat, removed seats and did panels under them, did inside center console, added heavy floor mats, removed side panels on exterior of cab and did those areas. I’m going to remove the skid plate at some point and do the underside. It’s quite easy to make a big difference.

One more question, is the liner on the center console all the way forward to where it is seen? Since the brand name Siless is all over the liner it wouldn’t look too nice. I suppose the benefit of the noise and heat suppression would outweigh the appearance. Any photos you have would be helpful. Thanks again!

We have a 2 seater XP and have zero heat complaints, the A/C will absolutely freeze you out. I'm guessing having the entire rear enclosed sitting over the engine on an ADV creates quite a hot box. The noise on the other hand pisses me off, I've added sound deadening materials and also re-clutched mine, so it's much better than it was. It's possible that my sound deadener also help with heat reflection.
I have a 2 dr xp, the heat is especially noticeable from under the passenger seat and shifter slot. I any going to try putting something under that seat. Also I have started to install sound deadening materials whereever I can, the noise is very disappointing. It is 89-91 decibels, a friend I ride with installed a clutch fuel saver kit (basically lowers the rpm), his is 88-90 decibels, not much of an improvement. I tried sound deadening panels on the back of cab and back of the box. Did not help at all. Going start in the inside next. Does anyone know of a boot for around the shifter ?

I pulled down the sid plate and did alot of insulationing udder the seat,s with foam and up in the shift tower, you can take the rubber around the shifter in side and put foam around it.

I used Siless Hybrid 3 in 1 5mm. I did the entire rear wall behind factory mat, removed seats and did panels under them, did inside center console, added heavy floor mats, removed side panels on exterior of cab and did those areas. I’m going to remove the skid plate at some point and do the underside. It’s quite easy to make a big difference.
I put 2 layers of Kilmat 80mm inside the back wall and while the factory wall mat was out I put a a layer of the Kilmat on the backside of that. Helped a lot. Now gonna tackle the center console and get 5/8 stall mats for the floorboard.
And go figure. I got a boot for the shifter and went to take the handle off to slip the boot over, the bolt holding the handle on is stripped. Turns and turns and turns and does nothing. My list of warranty work is growing.
We have not been to warm here yet, but so far not a lot of heat inside the cab.

I have a 2 dr xp, the heat is especially noticeable from under the passenger seat and shifter slot. I any going to try putting something under that seat. Also I have started to install sound deadening materials whereever I can, the noise is very disappointing. It is 89-91 decibels, a friend I ride with installed a clutch fuel saver kit (basically lowers the rpm), his is 88-90 decibels, not much of an improvement. I tried sound deadening panels on the back of cab and back of the box. Did not help at all. Going start in the inside next. Does anyone know of a boot for around the shifter ?
I used this boot. Double sided tape to attach and a zip tie around the shifter arm. No heat penetration into the cab.
Qiilu Universal Shifter Boot Car Gear Shift Boot Cover PU Leather Gear Shift Knob Gaiter Boot Dustproof Cover Replacement for Corolla Amazon.com

I put 2 layers of Kilmat 80mm inside the back wall and while the factory wall mat was out I put a a layer of the Kilmat on the backside of that. Helped a lot. Now gonna tackle the center console and get 5/8 stall mats for the floorboard.
And go figure. I got a boot for the shifter and went to take the handle off to slip the boot over, the bolt holding the handle on is stripped. Turns and turns and turns and does nothing. My list of warranty work is growing.
We have not been to warm here yet, but so far not a lot of heat inside the cab.
I tried this "

Sound Proof Foam Panels for Walls 12X12X2" Acoustic Foam Panels with Self-Adhesive Easy Installation Pyramid Style for Studio and Home Noise Reduction with Vibredux HD Sound Panels" on the back wall (2 dr), it did not help at all, I even covered that upper plastic window. I have decipel meter, was 89-91 before and 89-91 after. Also applied these to the back of the cab and back of the box Sound Absorbing Acoustic Panels , also did nothing. Still looking for other solutions, also still thinking about a clutch kit to lower the RPM, but that voids my clutch warranty.

I tried this "

Sound Proof Foam Panels for Walls 12X12X2" Acoustic Foam Panels with Self-Adhesive Easy Installation Pyramid Style for Studio and Home Noise Reduction with Vibredux HD Sound Panels" on the back wall (2 dr), it did not help at all, I even covered that upper plastic window. I have decipel meter, was 89-91 before and 89-91 after. Also applied these to the back of the cab and back of the box Sound Absorbing Acoustic Panels , also did nothing. Still looking for other solutions, also still thinking about a clutch kit to lower the RPM, but that voids my clutch warranty.

Somehow I didn't think that sound deadening stuff would work worth a shit !! Thank you for confirming that !!!!! that stuff is EXPENSIVE !!

Somehow I didn't think that sound deadening stuff would work worth a shit !! Thank you for confirming that !!!!! that stuff is EXPENSIVE !!
Our dealer notified us that Polaris would provide the clutch modification at no charge and our dealer did the work. It dropped the decibels by 9. Not huge but still an improvement. The cab heat especially under the passenger seat is bad. Now working on a solution for that but Polaris hasn’t stepped up for any solution for now.

Back