Polaris Xpedition XP 5 not starting

TAC88

Jun 10, 2024
New Cumberland, WV
Hi guys - I just picked up a used Xpedition XP 5 Ultimate with 32 miles on it after the original owner decided they wanted a 1500 Ranger instead. It has ran flawlessly but once day I noticed when I went to start it up it wouldn't start. I had it happen a few times within a couple days but usually I would get it to start either by taking the key out of the ignition or re-applying the brake, etc.

Fast forward about 10 days and today I was riding for about 30 mins or so and then stopped and went to start it and could not get it to start after an hour of trying. I confirmed the battery has power. Lights, Ride Command, everything is working and machine turns on it just won't crank or turn over. There is no attempt when trying to start. This machine was out of warranty a few months ago so not sure on how to proceed but from what I've read online there are a few things it could be related to.

Has anyone experienced this same issue and resolved it or have any tips/tricks to resolve?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys - I just picked up a used Xpedition XP 5 Ultimate with 32 miles on it after the original owner decided they wanted a 1500 Ranger instead. It has ran flawlessly but once day I noticed when I went to start it up it wouldn't start. I had it happen a few times within a couple days but usually I would get it to start either by taking the key out of the ignition or re-applying the brake, etc.

Fast forward about 10 days and today I was riding for about 30 mins or so and then stopped and went to start it and could not get it to start after an hour of trying. I confirmed the battery has power. Lights, Ride Command, everything is working and machine turns on it just won't crank or turn over. There is no attempt when trying to start. This machine was out of warranty a few months ago so not sure on how to proceed but from what I've read online there are a few things it could be related to.

Has anyone experienced this same issue and resolved it or have any tips/tricks to resolve?

Thanks in advance!
Try replacing your brake pressure switch mounted on the master cylinder up above the driver front tire.

Thanks in advance!
I have experienced this at random times; the key turn results in no crank or anything. It seems to remedy itself if I move the shifter to "Drive" and back to "Park" before trying the ignition again.

Jump the wires to the brake switch with a piece of wire. Leave it that way for awhile. If it starts every time it's bad. Very common problem with Polaris

Thanks in advance!
It's the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder ... an old design Polaris has had since the early 2000s ... get one from Amazon ... don't go to dealer they want $100.00 plus ... Amazon is around $20.00 ... same switch.

Definitely a pressure switch issue. Has the same thing with mine too. Before I replaced it I would pump the brakes a few times before starting and it did seem to work when I did that.

Hi guys - You were all right! I ended up switching out the pressure switch with an off brand from Amazon around $25 and haven't had an issue since!!

Before I swapped it out I actually found a sweet spot I had to press my brakes too (pretty hard) and I could get it to start but I had to keep my foot in that exact position. I drove it that way before the part finally came in the mail. Super quick/easy fix and like you said, much cheaper than the dealer which I think is around $125!

Glad to have this issue behind me! :)

Try replacing your brake pressure switch mounted on the master cylinder up above the driver front tire.
Hi guys - You were all right! I ended up switching out the pressure switch with an off brand from Amazon around $25 and haven't had an issue since!!

Before I swapped it out I actually found a sweet spot I had to press my brakes too (pretty hard) and I could get it to start but I had to keep my foot in that exact position. I drove it that way before the part finally came in the mail. Super quick/easy fix and like you said, much cheaper than the dealer which I think is around $125!

Glad to have this issue behind me! :)
Do you have the part # or Amazon link?

Back