Need a part - Hoping someone can help!

browettm

Jul 3, 2023
Reno, NV
Hi All,

Through no other than my own fault, I managed to ruin the "Tube Loop" on my HD bumper. Polaris tells me they can't send me just that one part (even though it's clearly a seperate and servicable part) and the only solution is to buy an entire new HD bumper. Still "arguing" with them.

I noticed that when one installs the HD hood rack, that part is replaced by the frame of the HD hood rack. My hope is maybe someone has installed the HD hood rack, rendering the "Tube Loop" useless and has it as a part lying around and I am hopeful someone will sell it to me?

See pics. Any help to correct my dumb mistake appreciated! I was trying to mount high lift mounts to the bar and in doing so squished it - so don't try and mount your high lift jack to that bar! The tubing is clearly not very thick.

Of note I ordered this and I think it will be a great mounting solution for a high lift jack and shovel while maintaining the rooftop tent. Rhino says it should fit.

Attachments

• 20240201_064317.jpg
    20240201_064317.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20240201_064322.jpg
    20240201_064322.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20240201_065808.jpg
    20240201_065808.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 72
Browettm,

I thought about mounting my jack there also, wouldn't have thought it could damage the tubing.

I think you would be happy with rhino racks high lift jack mounts. I purchased them from E trailer for $89. I did not choose to have the shovel mounted above, due to the fact that I have a tent and there was not enough clearance for the shovel.

This is the only location I could place the mounts but it has worked out well and is out of the way of opening the tent.

Good luck on locating your part... let me know how that mount works!

20240212_140437.jpg

Last edited:
Browettm,

I thought about mounting my jack there also, wouldn't have thought it could damage the tubing.

I think you would be happy with rhino racks high lift jack mounts. I purchased them from E trailer for $89. I did not choose to have the shovel mounted above, due to the fact that I have a tent and there was not enough clearance for the shovel.

This is the only location I could place the mounts but it has worked out well and is out of the way of opening the tent.

View attachment 1821.
You are getting awful top heavy between the rack, tent and spare tire. Are you still the standard width? When Polaris came out with these machines and took all of the social influencers out in the desert, somebody carrying a tent on top turned theirs over.
I turned my General over once and don't want to do that to my Xpedition. I installed 5+2 rims to make me 68" wide for more stability. I also carry Packouts. 2 in the back as well as two coolers. The heavy tools and equipment are in two more packouts mounted to the floorboard between the seats to keep the weight down low.
Instead of carrying a spare and being even more top heavy I carry lots of plugs, a Glue Tread repair kit, a couple Sidewall slugs and an air compressor as well as a piece of rubber to make a boot if necessary. Gonna carry an inner tube once I find the right one as well. Having beadlocks, I could take my impact and stick a tube inside fairly quickly.

You are getting awful top heavy between the rack, tent and spare tire. Are you still the standard width? When Polaris came out with these machines and took all of the social influencers out in the desert, somebody carrying a tent on top turned theirs over.
I turned my General over once and don't want to do that to my Xpedition. I installed 5+2 rims to make me 68" wide for more stability. I also carry Packouts. 2 in the back as well as two coolers. The heavy tools and equipment are in two more packouts mounted to the floorboard between the seats to keep the weight down low.!
Instead of carrying a spare and being even more top heavy I carry lots of plugs, a Glue Tread repair kit, a couple Sidewall slugs and an air compressor as well as a piece of rubber to make a boot if necessary. Gonna carry an inner tube once I find the right one as well. Having beadlocks, I could take my impact and stick a tube inside fairly quickly.
Hello Johndeerefarmer

Thank you for your input! The rack, from "SDR Mortorsports" is a surprisingly light, powder coated aircraft aluminum. So the only real weight is the spare (I'm guessing 35-40 Lbs.) and the Hi Lift Jack which is less than 30 Lbs. Based on your input, I have raised a concerning eyebrow to my plans of adding jerry cans for water and fuel on each side of the spare. (This will need additional research on my part).

To answer your question, I did install the larger 32" tires and 1 inch spacers, giving me a 68" width. Love your idea of the plugs and glue tread repair kit.

I have watched several "Influencers" on YouTube (like "LOJO") that were actually invited by Polaris to participate in the launching of the new Xpedition. He is an angler, hunter and camper who indicated in his video that he doesn't consider himself an "ATV Guy", but said it was a "once in a lifetime - unbelievable trip". Now, I was unaware that somebody may have turned theirs over. Which leads to the question of that particular influencer's experience with a side x side. My wife and I have owned several UTVs and a RZR 800 that we used to explored local mines and camped out in for years here in Arizona. Looking back, with the rack and equipment I carried then, it was probably not a wise idea. However, as I'm sure you know, a little common sense and trail riding experience go along way when it comes to safety. At our age, we are not out for speed of aggressive rock climbing.

Should you come across any additional information on top loading or events of roll overs involving the Xpedition, please shoot it may way, I would be very interested. And thanks for sharing, its always nice to receive others thoughts and perspectives.

Be safe!

Hello Johndeerefarmer

Thank you for your input! The rack, from "SDR Mortorsports" is a surprisingly light, powder coated aircraft aluminum. So the only real weight is the spare (I'm guessing 35-40 Lbs.) and the Hi Lift Jack which is less than 30 Lbs. Based on your input, I have raised a concerning eyebrow to my plans of adding jerry cans for water and fuel on each side of the spare. (This will need additional research on my part).

To answer your question, I did install the larger 32" tires and 1 inch spacers, giving me a 68" width. Love your idea of the plugs and glue tread repair kit.

I have watched several "Influencers" on YouTube (like "LOJO") that were actually invited by Polaris to participate in the launching of the new Xpedition. He is an angler, hunter and camper who indicated in his video that he doesn't consider himself an "ATV Guy", but said it was a "once in a lifetime - unbelievable trip". Now, I was unaware that somebody may have turned theirs over. Which leads to the question of that particular influencer's experience with a side x side. My wife and I have owned several UTVs and a RZR 800 that we used to explored local mines and camped out in for years here in Arizona. Looking back, with the rack and equipment I carried then, it was probably not a wise idea. However, as I'm sure you know, a little common sense and trail riding experience go along way when it comes to safety. At our age, we are not out for speed of aggressive rock climbing.

Should you come across any additional information on top loading or events of roll overs involving the Xpedition, please shoot it may way, I would be very interested. And thanks for sharing, its always nice to receive others thoughts and perspectives.

Be safe!
I carry extra fuel in two Rotpaxs in the back of the bed. I don't have mounts. They are just tied to the tie down points.
Here is the girl that tipped it. She had no previous SXS experience. Having said that if you look at the pix she appears to be on level ground?: First Look: Polaris Xpedition ADV

tippedexpedition.JPG

I had a General before the Xpedition. It was only a 2 door and 65" wide. It was very tippy with nothing on the roof. Several times in Colorado going up and down some of the switchbacks that were banked on one side it would try to tip. So this time we got the 4 door for the longer wheelbase and made it 68" wide. We haven't been on any of those trails yet so I can't tell you how it compares. We got the roof rack and will use it to carry a kayak and camping supplies but will not leave any weight up there permanent.

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_090132632_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230828_090132632_HDR.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 39
Well she was honest in her article, and I would be interested in hearing as to what her "unintentional durability testing" consisted of. LOL, at least she came out uninjured.

So I contacted my dealer today regarding our discussions on this subject. This dealership is in a small town about 1 1/2 hours drive from me. It's a "good-old-boy, hand shake" type of store with no B.S. Unlike the big Tucson dealerships about 30 mins from me, which I refused to deal with. Now the owner here (who owns his own XP5), and most of the employees like myself are all retired LEOs, so I trust their word. I sent them pics of my bike and asked for their unbiased input, based on their experience and knowledge. They laughed, advising that this new machine was designed from the ground up just for overlanding. He said Polaris had to go through and meet stringent standards pertaining to roll-overs. He related that they included hi speed "J-Turns" in both forward and reverse directions with the mounted rack and tent in place. He continued, saying I should no problems with the current set up. Now, with that said, I'm sure that's not to say they won't roll-over, (like in Ashley's case), but that's where that "Common Scene" thing comes into play.

Anyway, for what its worth he also told me he just returned from Mexico on a hunt after completing the Polaris upgraded clutch kit for the xpedition (which is really just weights, if I understood him correctly) and he said he didn't notice a loss in power, indicating it did reduce the engine noise by about 25%.

Thanks again, and keep me posted on things.

Well she was honest in her article, and I would be interested in hearing as to what her "unintentional durability testing" consisted of. LOL, at least she came out uninjured.

So I contacted my dealer today regarding our discussions on this subject. This dealership is in a small town about 1 1/2 hours drive from me. It's a "good-old-boy, hand shake" type of store with no B.S. Unlike the big Tucson dealerships about 30 mins from me, which I refused to deal with. Now the owner here (who owns his own XP5), and most of the employees like myself are all retired LEOs, so I trust their word. I sent them pics of my bike and asked for their unbiased input, based on their experience and knowledge. They laughed, advising that this new machine was designed from the ground up just for overlanding. He said Polaris had to go through and meet stringent standards pertaining to roll-overs. He related that they included hi speed "J-Turns" in both forward and reverse directions with the mounted rack and tent in place. He continued, saying I should no problems with the current set up. Now, with that said, I'm sure that's not to say they won't roll-over, (like in Ashley's case), but that's where that "Common Scene" thing comes into play.

Anyway, for what its worth he also told me he just returned from Mexico on a hunt after completing the Polaris upgraded clutch kit for the xpedition (which is really just weights, if I understood him correctly) and he said he didn't notice a loss in power, indicating it did reduce the engine noise by about 25%.

Thanks again, and keep me posted on things.
Before I bought my Xpedition I did some research on them tipping over. My Xpedition is 33.9 degrees- that is as it comes from the factory with NO roof rack or tent. 33 is as low as you can go and still pass the test. General XP4s are 37.4 degrees. XP900 was 38 degrees. Rangers are 35-37 degrees.

Info that I saved from that thread:
"The center of gravity of a two seat RZR is generally somewhere around the base of the seat and centered between the seats. Lower than you might think. I doubt a General would be much different.
The tilt test is done with the weight equivalent of two adults in the seats.
Since the seats are above the center of gravity (cog) that weight would raise the cog and lower the stability."

So we already see that they cheat on the test by using weight instead of real people. I can find no info that Polaris is required to do another tilt test of the Xpedition with the tent on top. If they did do this you would have received another tilt test result with your rooftop tent purchase. If you are really curious you need to contact Polaris directly and ask them

This is why I went with the wider offset wheels to get me to 68" and I try to keep my heavier stuff down on the floorboard

As far as the Polaris clutch kit goes. I have been running the Aftermarket Assassins kit for several months. RPM went down about 1000 rpm. Sound level is way down. The way we normally drive- 5-10 mph on trails and 30-40 on county roads, the loss of power from the kit doesn't bother me. The only time you notice it is accelerating and getting up to 60mph. It takes a lot longer to get there than before.

Before I bought my Xpedition I did some research on them tipping over. My Xpedition is 33.9 degrees- that is as it comes from the factory with NO roof rack or tent. 33 is as low as you can go and still pass the test. General XP4s are 37.4 degrees. XP900 was 38 degrees. Rangers are 35-37 degrees.

Info that I saved from that thread:
"The center of gravity of a two seat RZR is generally somewhere around the base of the seat and centered between the seats. Lower than you might think. I doubt a General would be much different.
The tilt test is done with the weight equivalent of two adults in the seats.
Since the seats are above the center of gravity (cog) that weight would raise the cog and lower the stability."

So we already see that they cheat on the test by using weight instead of real people. I can find no info that Polaris is required to do another tilt test of the Xpedition with the tent on top. If they did do this you would have received another tilt test result with your rooftop tent purchase. If you are really curious you need to contact Polaris directly and ask them

This is why I went with the wider offset wheels to get me to 68" and I try to keep my heavier stuff down on the floorboard

As far as the Polaris clutch kit goes. I have been running the Aftermarket Assassins kit for several months. RPM went down about 1000 rpm. Sound level is way down. The way we normally drive- 5-10 mph on trails and 30-40 on county roads, the loss of power from the kit doesn't bother me. The only time you notice it is accelerating and getting up to 60mph. It takes a lot longer to get there than before.
Interesting and good info for follow up. the aftermarket kit you installed , did that include weights and springs?

Last edited:
I turned my General over once and don't want to do that to my Xpedition. I installed 5+2 rims to make me 68" wide for more stability. I also carry Packouts. 2 in the back as well as two coolers. The heavy tools and equipment are in two more packouts mounted to the floorboard between the seats to keep the weight down low.
So far I haven't experienced anything sketchy as far as roll on the terrain I have been on. The place in the pic where the rig is on its side looks pretty benign so I wonder how much of that was speed and driver error, etc. - but I do agree weight up high does carry some additional hazard but can be countered by more weight (passengers, equipment) down low.

Browettm,

View attachment 1821.
I ended up going with a similar set up from Rhino Rack. It is made for their Pioneer rack but fits the Polaris one just fine.

Attachments

• 20240215_171511.jpg
    20240215_171511.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240215_171517.jpg
    20240215_171517.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 29
I ended up going with a similar set up from Rhino Rack. It is made for their Pioneer rack but fits the Polaris one just fine.
Browettm,
Nice set up! Did you find any issues with unzipping the tent with the current configuration with the shovel and jack. I planned on placing my shovel separate across the rear over the rack!

So I mounted my tent so it "unfolds" to the passengers side and overhangs the passengers side.

There is no interference in setting up the tent with where I have the shovel and jack - the tent can be fully deployed without removing the shovel or jack.

As for the zipper (I assume we are talking the tent cover zipper) it does take a little more "working around" but it is still easy to zip and unzip the cover.

Interesting and good info for follow up. the aftermarket kit you installed , did that include weights and springs?
The Aftermarket Assassins "cruiser kit" includes a new helix (your choice of performance or high load) new primary and secondary springs and weights. The weights have holes drilled in them that you place different magnets in for more or less weight

The Aftermarket Assassins "cruiser kit" includes a new helix (your choice of performance or high load) new primary and secondary springs and weights. The weights have holes drilled in them that you place different magnets in for more or less weight
Got it! I haven't decided if I'm going to change anything at this point.

Thanks for the info

Back