Here we go again, in the shop.

tdeperte

Jun 22, 2023
Arizona
2024 Xpedition ADV2 Northstar. I previously posted about popping a front axle on my first ride at 15 miles. Now at 50 hours and 621 miles I have the dreaded check engine light. Code is P0130 which is the oxygen sensor low voltage. I'm getting discouraged with this machine. My previous Ranger was never back in the shop in the four plus years I owned it. To top off my aggravation when I pulled up the code on the ride command display it lists my vehicle as a 2024 General. Come on Polaris.

Looks like there is a problem with some of these units and oxygen sensors. I spoke to my dealer today and they don't know what the issue is that is causing these error codes. They have filed a case with Polaris and are awaiting a response. As am I. ADV2 Northstar.

9/22/23 I'm editing the first line above to read: Looks like there may be a problem with the oxygen sensors due to at least two machines having this issue. I didn't mean to imply Polaris is aware of a problem.

Last edited:
Xpedition Northstar ADV5, Code 5 3056 1, Problem with O2 Sensor after 29 hours, Currently in shop for diagnostics and repair. Will post results of repair as it becomes available.
As might be expected dealer service replaced the O2 Sensor and said "fixed". The check engine light is off and I'm in observation mode for now. It's my intent to update this thread with my experience going forward. Update to this thread as of 10/18/2023: After replacing O2 Sensor and changing to higher rated quality fuel the problem reappeared after long idling periods and when the engine is hot. Running the engine at higher RPM under load appears to remedy this intermittent engine light. Possible turning the engine off, let sit, re-starting engine may be part of the solution. Also, most of my riding since I purchased the machine is over 6500 feet elevation. Thanks for reading this post.

Last edited:
As might be expected dealer service replaced the O2 Sensor and said "fixed". I did mention that in this forum it has been said that Polaris acknowledges an undetermined problem surrounding O2 Sensor functionality and associated performance issues likely resulting from an erroneous dictate from the ECU relative to fuel / air mix because of???. The check engine light is off and I'm in observation mode for now. It's my intent to update this thread with my experience going forward. Thanks for reading this post.
I spoke to my dealer today. Polaris is thinking bad gas because everything tests ok. Which without a corresponding sample test of the fuel in my tank doesn't give me a high degree of confidence on the diagnosis. My fuel was fresh and purchased from a high volume station. And we all know the fuel doesn't sit very long in these machines the way they guzzle it. The engine ran fine when it threw the code. It took several times to start and keep running the morning I took it into the dealer but ran fine after a minute. Personally I think it's an intermittent problem with one of the oxygen sensors. Time will tell.

In my 1000 plus miles on my machine… This code has come up quite a few times… No Derate, no actual issues except the Check light… Each time I noticed was that I had Idled for some time… I’ve just Keyed off and run like normal and after abit it just goes away.. In our Big Trucks we refer to this as ghost codes.. Doesn't actually cause any issues except an annoying check light for a bit.. The only thing I had come up with each time that I had noticed it, was Idling for extended periods… if that helps..

In my 1000 plus miles on my machine… This code has come up quite a few times… No Derate, no actual issues except the Check light… Each time I noticed was that I had Idled for some time… I’ve just Keyed off and run like normal and after abit it just goes away.. In our Big Trucks we refer to this as ghost codes.. Doesn't actually cause any issues except an annoying check light for a bit.. The only thing I had come up with each time that I had noticed it, was Idling for extended periods… if that helps..
Thanks for this info. It will ease my mind when I get the machine back and the check engine light and code reappear.

Picked my ADV2 Northstar up from the dealer for the check engine light with a P0130 code, oxygen sensor. They advised it appears to be poor quality fuel as the cause. They recommended I use non ethanol fuel and if not available to use at least 91 octane fuel. As luck would have it there was a gas station with non ethanol straight gas right across the street. They further advised if the check engine light appears again and the machine is running ok it should clear itself after about three engine on off cycles. So for now I'm not going to worry about this issue.

That doesn’t sound rite to me. Ethanol is in all fuels in Canada. They surely would know that.
I agree with you. Took the machine out today for 30 miles with no issue and the same gas as before. But as long as I can get ethanol free that is what I will use when I use up the current tank. I guess it's just going to take time to see if this was a one off, or an issue that still needs to be delt with. It ran beautiful today and I'm glad to have it back.

Latest Discussions

Back