Cold Climate Hard Start

Wyoman

Nov 2, 2023
Laramie, WY.
What is everyone doing for a quick start in colder climates or cold temps.
Temps below 30 degrees and it is very hard to start. Once started and warmed up for the day no problems pops right off.

If I run 91 octane mine won’t start for crap in cold weather. My 2021 Ranger was the same way. Dealer recommended 87 non ethanol - they had an explanation as to why but forget what it was. Once I stuck with that I’ve had no issues.

Thank you BadXP, I am just in the habit of using non ethanol fuel and therefore it is 91 octane here in Wyoming.
I will have to give the 87 with ethanol a try I guess.

Just brought our Xped to Colorado. It was 27 degrees and was hard to start. I cranked about 4 seconds, let rest a second or two and on the second attempt it started after about 2 seconds. We will keep it in the garage here. Its not heated but doesn't get colder than around 40 so should start better. I am currently running 89 octane which Polaris recommends.

My '17 Polaris General was the same way.

Thanks for the information. I am from Minnesota so noticed the same thing in the cold. Was concerned about starting when ice fishing. Thinking I will also go to 87 octane in the winter months.

Following up to this cold weather starting problem. Polaris has issued a new flash for this very problem.
I just had mine done, 10 min. job. Probably wont know how much better it is until fall now.

Following up to this cold weather starting problem. Polaris has issued a new flash for this very problem.
I just had mine done, 10 min. job. Probably wont know how much better it is until fall now.
How did you get this done? Was it a Polaris dealor issue to get flashed? Thanks

Yes my dealer did the update.
They also where having problems when leaving them outside in the cold last winter. As they said some machines seem to be worse than others.
Fingers crossed.

Yes my dealer did the update.
They also where having problems when leaving them outside in the cold last winter. As they said some machines seem to be worse than others.
Fingers crossed.
Considering the fact that my 2013 XP900, 2016 XP Turbo, 2017 General, 2023 Turbo R and now Xpedition don't start good in the cold, I would say the flash is a waste of time. Oops I forgot the 2015 Ranger.
They took 11 years to come out with a fix? 🤣🤣

Back