A/C Not Working

PeShooter

Feb 19, 2024
Kansas City
After taking my XP5 out when the weather became warmer, I was certain that the A/C wasn't working. Took it to the dealer last weekend and they reported that it had 0.1 lbs of refrigerant in it. They believe that the factory forgot to add the refrigerant after flushing the lines. Apparently the factory just forgot that step. It blows cold now.

After taking my XP5 out when the weather became warmer, I was certain that the A/C wasn't working. Took it to the dealer last weekend and they reported that it had 0.1 lbs of refrigerant in it. They believe that the factory forgot to add the refrigerant after flushing the lines. Apparently the factory just forgot that step. It blows cold now.
Sounds like that one slipped past QC! Hopefully, that's all there is to it and there aren't any leaks.

Here in Texas we get lots of 100+ days and my ac didn't work good at all. Driving slow on trails worked ok. Get on the hot blacktop and drive at 40+ mph we were sweating in the cab. GF sitting in the back seat burned her back from the rear firewall getting very hot. I insulated the rear firewall on both sides, made floor mats, put insulation in the headliner and took the tunnel apart and insulated it. Now it works pretty good. BTW had dealer check mine- freon was where it was supposed to be. Hope you aren't disappointed when summer comes.

Here in Texas we get lots of 100+ days and my ac didn't work good at all. Driving slow on trails worked ok. Get on the hot blacktop and drive at 40+ mph we were sweating in the cab. GF sitting in the back seat burned her back from the rear firewall getting very hot. I insulated the rear firewall on both sides, made floor mats, put insulation in the headliner and took the tunnel apart and insulated it. Now it works pretty good. BTW had dealer check mine- freon was where it was supposed to be. Hope you aren't disappointed when summer comes.
I appreciate the honest feedback about the A/C johndeerefarmer and was curious if you have any window tinting? I have noticed that Northstar owners typically tint the windows and park in the shade when not running to give the A/C a fighting chance, especially for back seat passengers. Also, I've bought some rechargeable fans to clip in the right spots to get air moved to the back seat for those hot days.

I appreciate the honest feedback about the A/C johndeerefarmer and was curious if you have any window tinting? I have noticed that Northstar owners typically tint the windows and park in the shade when not running to give the A/C a fighting chance, especially for back seat passengers. Also, I've bought some rechargeable fans to clip in the right spots to get air moved to the back seat for those hot days.
I had a John Deere 4066R tractor with cab a few years ago. With all of the glass the A/C. Couldn't keep up. I spent about $700 getting the windows tinted. Didn't make a lot of difference. Early in the mornings when it was in the 70's or low 80's the A/C did alright and the morning sun shining on the side windows didn't have a lot of effect anyway.. By about 10am and from that time to about 6pm the roof of the cab blocked most of the sun. Finally from about 6-8pm as the sun hit the side window it did help a little.
This was my first disappointment with window tints.
My son in law and step daughter have a Can Am Defender (4 door with cab). He spent about $800 getting the windows tinted with ceramic. Riding in the Defender with tinted windows vs our Xpedition with cab insulation, the Xpedition was cooler. Based on that I didn't get the windows tinted. I did spend about $400 on insulation and Thermotec heat barrier. I figure the insulation will be good in both the winter and summer vs the tint only helping during the summer.
Gonna try it again this summer but right now I don't plan on tinting the windows.

Last edited:
Back